For me, it does. That's what separates a good guitarists from a great guitarist. What's your opinion?
i believe it isn't necessary, but good vibrato can add worlds of character to playing and should be learned.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I can't listen to a player who's vibrato i don't like, Jimmy Page for instance.

I believe it is a necessity. My favourite vibrato would be Malmsteens.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 15, 2010,
Bad, poorly utilized and uneven vibrato completely destroys a guitarist.

I cant imagine why anybody wouldn't learn to use it properly, as it's honestly the cornerstone to amazing playing as far as I'm concerned.
As far as players go, Zakk Wylde just kills with his. I also really like Jeff Loomis's.
Last edited by Ebeli at Jun 15, 2010,
griffRG7321 is spot on with Yngwie... Especially with that scallopped fretboard.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Vibrato is only one of the techniques used for expression. If a guitarist has some good vibrato. But he can't do any other techniques of expression well, then the guitarist still isn't very good.

I believe it is a necessity. QUOTE]

This.

For me, vibrato & bending is a technique unique to stringed instruments (asaik) and to not utilize this is to not use the full potential of a guitar.
Quote by mater99
For me, it does. That's what separates a good guitarists from a great guitarist. What's your opinion?

While I do appreciate a nice vibrato, I certainly wouldn't hold it above all else as the ultimate gauge of a guitarists worth.

Quote by griffRG7321
I can't listen to a player who's vibrato i don't like, Jimmy Page for instance.

I believe it is a necessity. My favourite vibrato would be Malmsteens.

I love Jimmy Pages vibrato. I like Malmsteens as well.

I like that both of those guys sound different..... they are both genuine artists and IMO THAT is what makes them great.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 15, 2010,
I definitely think vibrato is important. People forget that guitar can be played just like a brass or string instrument. I'm a music major, and I have to be able to play cleanly and expressively on guitar just as much as I have to on piano or trombone.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by rockingamer2
Listening to a good vibrato can be orgasmic.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI

@ 5:51 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHSk91RhL8

some very sweet vibrato IMO.

that said, I still wouldn't hold vibrato above all else as the ultimate gauge of a guitarists worth. That would be an ignorant point of view.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 15, 2010,
I wouldn't say that vibrato makes or breaks a guitarist, and it definitely is not a necessity. In some genres it is (eg. rock, metal, blues). But, just listen to some jazz. There are tons of guitarists who don't use vibrato or even bend a string; and you're not gonna tell me that they aren't great guitarists.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Likewise bluegrass, a great deal of folk/country playing... etc.

You can't isolate a single technique like that.

I'm a slide player, and a shimmering vibrato with the slide is a necessity in that style.
Malmsteen has an awesome vibrato... Steve Morse has a terrible one... Who's career died? Neither...
Quote by SilverSpurs616
For me, vibrato & bending is a technique unique to stringed instruments (asaik) and to not utilize this is to not use the full potential of a guitar.

not at all. wind and brass instruments (and vocals, naturally) can produce vibrato. pretty much the only thing that can't is percussion.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Vibrato IS necessary. The truth is, anything other than JUST pressing the note is crucial.
You cannot convey feeling unless you PUT feeling into it.

Vibrato provides that in any case, not just blues or other jazz.
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
Quote by Raven*
Vibrato IS necessary. The truth is, anything other than JUST pressing the note is crucial.
You cannot convey feeling unless you PUT feeling into it.

Vibrato provides that in any case, not just blues or other jazz.

And who said vibrato = feeling?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
it depends on the style of music and the guitarist's own personal style. It's an important technique to learn, but not any more important than other techniques such as picking styles, legato, etc.

also, vibrato =/= feeling or emotion. It can help in achieving it, but not any more than anything else, and considerably less than the actual composition.
Well... vibrato is personal... yet it can be feel... and it can definitely add feel... so in essence it is feeling
Out of all the techniques i'd say vibrato is one of the most important. More important than doing lightning fast legato or picking/sweeping/tapping.