These seem to be the two different forms or practicing both which I have persued and gotten different results.

Practice Shedule

Ill get the same amount of practice everyday, but some days have to stay up late to complete it, which results in me sleeping in the next day, and not completing my schedule or missing it competley

So, in short, I do the same amount everyday, but some days Ill miss practice completley

Practicing As Much As I Can

This way, I practice everyday. It might be 1 hour, it might be 6, but its everyday.

I don't have a schedule, so I to try practice the same things everyday, but it may vary, more so than the previous approach.

This may be a stupid observation, but in linking guitar to voice. We are all masters of our voice, but I never set myself a schedule for talking (:rolleyes I just did it as much as possible, and I can now express freely with my voice. So to apply the same system on guitar seems wise, but Im not sure.

Which approach sounds better to you guys?
I just practice as much as I can. I do a bit of theory, play some old stuff, then learn some new stuff. No schedule, just do what I like. It's worked pretty well for me.
It doesn't matter. If anything though the second option with no schedule as long as you know or have a list of what you have to practice.

You might have learned basic language by doing it a lot, but you're forgetting all the school time where you learned how to read, and learned grammar as well as vocabulary. All this stuff got ingrained with harder and harder books, tests and other things that required you to speak the language at a higher level.

Know what you have to practice, and whenever you sit down to practice, don't mess around with anything else and go into it. I feel actual time schedules for something that is so variable (how you're feeling, how much you had to warm up, how much time you had to spend on an exercise, etc) that forcing yourself to change stuff after a time limit, might pressure you into doing it sloppily and not dedicating the extra time you might need for something in particular.
Cool, thanks for the response. Schedules can be good, but they do have their downside. Last night I could have easily gone to bed, but I have one hours practice left to do. I ended up staying up till 3:00 am just to get it done. Probably wasn't as effective as I coud have been, and I didn't get up today untill 11:30
Quote by Snowman388
I just practice as much as I can. I do a bit of theory, play some old stuff, then learn some new stuff. No schedule, just do what I like. It's worked pretty well for me.

As long as "having no schedule" doesn't equate to "having no plan".

I think you should really have a routine and a plan- but that doesn't mean you have to practice for the same amount of time each day.
^ What I'll usually do without a set time each day, is simply set myself a list of subjects and work on those.

My main issue with a practice shedule where I have to complete "x" number of hours per day, is that if something happens during my day, I have to go to a gig, doctor, something just takes extra time, etc. It'll throw my schedule out of whack, and I won't get the practice done that day, and go to bed thinking "I'll do it right tomorrow" or I stay up extra late trying to get everything done, when I can't really focus 100% and make myself more tired the next day.
Last edited by jesse music at Jun 15, 2010,
I just play when I want to and so far I'm progressing very good. I don't have a schedule, neither a plan... don't know what that really means. I mean when I understand whether I need to work on some technique I do it, but other than that I just play whenever and whatever I want to.
Sometimes my practices seem ineffective.
But I remember, it's not how I feel right after the practice, it's about the effects it'll have on my playing weeks down the line.
As long as you're spending your large amounts of practicing doing it right I tihnk it definately pays off.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I would just play when your schedule permits. You can't always plan your day- things change. I've found that if I set individual practice schedules (not band practice) it becomes monotnous and part of the routine, and then it feels like another thing I'm obligated to do. There are too many of those things in life- I just play it by how I feel.
What about play when you can?
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Schedules are terrible.
Everyone who does it has no idea why it's crippling.

Music is a hobby, when you incorperate things like schedules, dead lines, expectations, or impatience you also drag in stress.
When your hobby becomes stressful you look for another hobby to escape the stress.
It becomes a never ending cycle.

Don't ruin guitar for yourself, I PROMISE that anybody will improve with time and patience. Practice when you feel like it. Practice when it's comfortable not stressful.
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
I don't schedule my practices, but I do have a 45min long routine that I run through EVERYTIME I sit down to practice...how can you progress if you have no goals that you want to achieve? You won't improve unless you dedicate a piece of your time to one aspect of your playing (be it picking, or theory, learning a song, or w/e). If you don't do that your just going in circles. If you just go with what you "feel" like practicing, how can you ever progress when what your feeling changes every other day? That's my opinion anyway
Quote by justaramsfan
I don't schedule my practices, but I do have a 45min long routine that I run through EVERYTIME I sit down to practice...how can you progress if you have no goals that you want to achieve? You won't improve unless you dedicate a piece of your time to one aspect of your playing (be it picking, or theory, learning a song, or w/e). If you don't do that your just going in circles. If you just go with what you "feel" like practicing, how can you ever progress when what your feeling changes every other day? That's my opinion anyway

can you describe that 45min long routine?
Quote by fupashredder
can you describe that 45min long routine?

Sure, but I use it to practice drums...so it probably wouldn't be too useful for you
It's not very hard to make your own...you just need a list of what you want to improve on, and then decide how much time you want to spend improving it...5-10min is what I usually go with to improve a small detail of my playing, and 20min is good for a big aspect of my playing
Last edited by justaramsfan at Jun 15, 2010,
i think a combo is best. i try to play as much as i can, but i have routine of sorts i like to get in if anything at all. usually ill do only that on busy days. so i like to get it out of the way when im not busy which leaves the rest of the day to do whatever. it basically just scales drills to keep my fretting hand and picking hand up to par. after that, i like to just play. make up songs, jam to CDs, play with others if i can, whatever. so i have a set time for technique, and unlimited time for musical aplication. some days though i just jam for hours.
I think you should do something like practice every day one hour, you know technique stuff and songs you can't really play, slow them really down like it says in the 21 day challenge, and then the rest of the time you have to play just play, don't think of it as "practice", have fun, learn songs.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.