Okay, the title might seem slightly vague to some =P, but what I'm really looking for is what should I do to my current gear to get both warmer cleans and better sounding heavy distortion. The gear that I regurarly use is as follows:

ESP LTD EC-50 with EMG HZ-H4 on bridge and stock on neck
LINE 6 Spider III 15W
BEHRINGER Ultra Metal UM300 (~BOSS MT-2 with more feedback \m/)

Ok so my gear might seem slightly modest, but I feel I get really good tone out of it for it's price. Especially the ultra-metal and the EC-50 seem really fantastic. Sure I would have a craving for a good quality strato with a floyd, but otherwise I can't think of too much to improve on part of the guitar it has great action, feel, and sounds. Also I find the ultra-metal replicates the MT-2 almost perfectly and adds a bit of extra feedback =D. In general I like anything from a warm acoustic almost jazzy tone to very heavy or thrashy metallica distortion.

I think the best point of improvement would be in my amplifier, I would like to use amplifier distortion instead of a pedal, but the distortion on the Line 6 really lacks any depth. Also the clean isn't the best for running a pedal on top of since it's got a lot of modulation going on and in general the cleans can get a bit 'clangy' or cold.

IN general my budget for any upgrades would about max 200€. So that makes things quite limited, but I don't want a huge stack either for just playing in my bedroom. So could someone recommend a maximum 200€ amplifier that I could replace my current amp with? Go here for prices http://www.thomann.de/gb/amplifiers_for_electric_guitars.html (It's about the same price range as here in Finland)

I have looked at a few options like for example the Marshall MG15/30 ~130 or ~200. Or then maybe a Fender frontman 25G. Above all I'm interested in getting a good tonal range from the clean channel so please comment and make suggestions.

Thanks,
In advance
Last edited by ocfx at Jun 15, 2010,
Well you should try fender frontman 212 (100w) or the 65w version. They're pretty good for solid state amps. I am not so sure about marshalls low-end solid states.. I think you shouldn't get another 15w amp,they're pretty much the same,except if it is a tube amp,then it's a different story.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

The Fender Frontman 212 is total rubbish... but for your limited budget, you won't do much better...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Marshall 100VT has a nice trashy disto. I think u should try it.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Okay, so you think I can't get an unmodulated good clean for under 200€? If not then please suggest what sort of amp would be a good upgrade then, but I don't think I need a 65W or 100W for jamming in my bedroom.
Maybe have a look at a mini stack like one of these. You'll get a nice clean tube sound, much better than any solid state in your price range.

There are others to look at like the Blackheart Killer Ant, Blackstar HT-5 and Vox AC4
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jun 15, 2010,
Fender Frontman takes distortion pedals really well. Moi friend has one and my old multi effects pedal really shines whereas on my amp it just makes the sound worse (which is why I stopped using it)
Quote by sammo_boi
Hardly nice :P

Maybe have a look at a mini stack like one of these. You'll get a nice clean tube sound, much better than any solid state in your price range.

I personally think its good. I agree that tubes are nicer, but cheap tube amps won't have good distortion designed for metal. And to get it to sound good, you need it LOUD, which can not always happen. So just give the marshall a go. IF you don't like it, then you have to get a good Tube, because SS won't satisfy you.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Quote by grizzli1994
I personally think its good. I agree that tubes are nicer, but cheap tube amps won't have good distortion designed for metal. And to get it to sound good, you need it LOUD, which can not always happen. So just give the marshall a go. IF you don't like it, then you have to get a good Tube, because SS won't satisfy you.

Tube saturation isn't desirable for modern metal, but yes you're right that cheap low wattage tube amps generally aren't voiced for metal.
Quote by droppedmybrain
look into a peavey vyper.

Word.

+1

You won't even need that metal pedal with the Vypyr
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
People have to stop suggesting that shitty fender frontman. It's beyond god awful.

TS check out the peavey vyper series or a roland cube. That's probably the best you could do on your limited budget..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
sell of the pedals and the amp and get a peavey bandit or something
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by droppedmybrain

Quote by droppedmybrain

Quote by droppedmybrain

Quote by droppedmybrain

in case you missed it
well as you said its really hard to do a lot with such a limited budget. for a large improvement, a tube amp (any of them) will give a better clean ton and better sounding natural distortion and better pedals. im mean beringer stuff is kinda...meh.

but again money is money. i feel you pain. i have a spyder 3. however i just got a tube amp and its teh greatest money ive ever spent on music.
A little bit of an update on this though the thread has been dead for a week or so now. I think the Peavey Vypyr wouldn't be anything extraordinary in comparison to my current set-up, in fact I don't think I would get much improvement at all.

If you want to take a listen of what kind of tones the setup produces, I made a cover of Metallica's Seek and Destroy recentely (It's not the best musically =P):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10laB_HBKQw

There a lot of mids in that, and I had to cut back on bass to prevent clipping. So it actually sounds a whole bit better through the speaker.

Anyways what I have come across is the Vox VT30, which seems to fit my bill really well, it's a bit under 200€ and seems to have a pretty good tonal range based on some videos I have seen. SO do you people think it's worth the buy?

Thanks.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hughes_kettner_editionblue_30r.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_cr35ldx.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_da20.htm

The Vox is the most versatile of these but...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_ac4tv.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_vibro_champ_xd.htm
these are valve amps and will give you better sounds all round. They will also work better with your UM300 (got the same one).

Edit: Yeah, the VT30 is well-respected and would suit your needs.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jun 23, 2010,