An acquaintance who runs an "online label" (that is, he puts music up on his website for free download, with creative commons licenses) has asked to put my music up.

I would be probably the most straightforward music on his site, since most of the stuff there is pretty crazy. I'm leaning towards doing this just to get my music out another way, but I need someone to convince me just a bit more that this is a good idea.

For those who want to see what my music is: Mimic The French @ Myspace

And for those of you who want to see this label's website: Belgian Man Records
You're music is already available online, putting it other places online can only be a good thing surely?

I'm struggling to see what you stand to lose. If later you get a record deal or something you can always take it down...?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Well,if it's a free distribution,no-strings-attached kind of site,I don't see why you shouldn't give yourself the publicity,especially if the site has traffic.
Quote by KlinikaNekros
Well,if it's a free distribution,no-strings-attached kind of site,I don't see why you shouldn't give yourself the publicity,especially if the site has traffic.

It's distributed with a CC license, which means there are some strings attached, especially if the TS doesn't register it first.

That seems to be what you're all overlooking. If he (the friend) registers the CC on the songs, and the TS hasn't registered it with CC or the government copyright office, the friend becomes the copyright holder. Of course, you, having created the music, would actually have all of the rights associated with the music, and you can challenge it if you wish, but the friend might have you sign an agreement of some kind that prevents you from doing so.

So, my suggestion? Protect your material, first. Then talk with this acquaintance of yours. If he wants you to sign anything, make sure you have a lawyer read over everything. Only once everything checks out should you agree to this.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I'd register it first anyways, just to be safe. Even if it's just a CC license, it's something to protect yourself with just in case the shit hits the fan.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Also be aware, AFAIK, that as soon as you publish your work under CC, you cannot later revoke that permission you are granting to others to share your work freely.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Also be aware, AFAIK, that as soon as you publish your work under CC, you cannot later revoke that permission you are granting to others to share your work freely.

CT

This. By all means use it for one or two demos, but remember if you put anything up there you'll have no hope of doing anything commercial with it in the future,
Quote by kyle62
This. By all means use it for one or two demos, but remember if you put anything up there you'll have no hope of doing anything commercial with it in the future,

That's my feeling. Anyhow, these are recordings of questionable quality - see the first post for a myspace link for them - so I wouldn't be too fussed about losing control of them.
It's not the recordings you lose control of. It is the compositions.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hmm. Well, I'm actually okay with that - I've been writing like crazy recently, and I have more songs than I need, most of them better than these ones. Also, music is not really what I want to do as a career, so I'm not too fussed about a possible loss of a couple bucks of revenue. I just want to get my stuff out there.
If you released an album you can still put one or two of those songs on it with better quality and people will pay for it (if they enjoy the music obviously).