So I decided to go for a new amp instead a new guitar.
I know very little about amps so I need some suggestions.
Budget: 800 euro's ( can stretch to 1000 if needed )
I play mainly hardrock and metal but I want good cleans too and I want to be able to play some bluesier stuf, so I need a versatile amp.
I prefer a combo but it's not neccessary.

PS: I will be using it for gigging.
Last edited by michiel777 at Jun 15, 2010,
i'd say bugera 333xl combo.
it has tubes, is loud enough for gigging, has awesome cleans, awesome rhythm and awesome lead. can definitely handle death metal as well as eric clapton.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
I can get every sound I want out of my Bogner Alchemist 212.

EDIT: I've seen these for like 900 USD... that should be in your budget in euros right?
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
Last edited by Chris Schementi at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Eskil Rask
good sir, that would be stupid as hell seeing it as he lives in Europe and his budget is measured in euros, not dollars.

Yes but 800 Euro's is almost 1000$ and the most expensive amp on there is 1000$. Not saying he should buy it from there but it gives him an idea of the amps he can get for that price range.
Quote by Chris Schementi
I can get every sound I want out of my Bogner Alchemist 212.

I believe that one is a bit past his €800 budget. :p
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by salgala2000
Yes but 800 Euro's is almost 1000$ and the most expensive amp on there is 1000$. Not saying he should buy it from there but it gives him an idea of the amps he can get for that price range.

everything is at least 25% more expensive here in europe. trust me.

EDIT: that one goes out to the bogner guy too.
Quote by Eskil Rask
I believe that one is a bit past his €800 budget. :p

Haha I just edited my previous post... they're actually pretty cheap now these aren't the custom shop amps lol.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
The bogner is 40 watt right? Will that be loud enough for gigging?
I will be checking out the bugera, I see it's available in my store. will be trying it out
Last edited by michiel777 at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Chris Schementi
Haha I just edited my previous post... they're actually pretty cheap now these aren't the custom shop amps lol.

yeah. but i just checked the amp price on a danish site, and i costs 8000 kroner, which is pretty exactly 1075 euros. and his budget was mainly €800.
Quote by michiel777
I will be checking out the bugera, I see it's available in my store. will be trying it out

as a rule of thumb, wattage means nothing but headroom. if you double the wattage, you get 3,6 dB more. so you should get like 4,5 dB more volume from a 40w amp. but it will take a lot less before it starts breaking up (that can be both good and bad depending on the situation).
Quote by salgala2000

not really, because prices in europe are completely different. all the us-made stuff is about twice as much, whereas most of the EU-made stuff is a little cheaper.

engl screamer? laney tt50c? marshall jvm?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not really, because prices in europe are completely different. all the us-made stuff is about twice as much, whereas most of the EU-made stuff is a little cheaper.

engl screamer? laney tt50c? marshall jvm?

Bugera are also situated in Germany I believe. Yes, I'm a fanboy and also biased.
Quote by michiel777

Yeah it's a 40 watt with a 20 watt Variac switch. I had a Peavey Valveking 112 (50 watt) before the Bogner and the latter seems to be so much louder. I don't know if it's because of the extra speaker but I'm sure it's good enough for gigging.

Oh and I feel sorry for you guys with the price difference seriously

Look at the Marshall MA series too.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
no worries, thanks for the concern. at least it's not as bad as australia. And we do have some stuff which is fairly decent value, which makes things a little easier to take. i feel bad for the australians, most stuff (from both europe and the us) is really overpriced, and they have very little homegrown stuff (they do have some) to buy instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK... instead of guitar centre... maybe we should be making reference to this...

http://www.thomann.de/dk/index.html
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by denied
Go used. Look into:
Peavey XXX, JSX
Marshall JVM
Carvin V3

Those are my favorite versatile amps around your price range.

I don't know what engl prices are like in Europe, but it would be good to check some out if you get the chance.

Still hard to get used at a decent price. I believe most of those amps would cost around $1,5-2k new and then around $1-1,5k used.

However the Bugera is essentially a shameless copy of the JSX so I guess we agree there.