Hey!

Recently given a harmonica tuned to G, and I'm partial to a bit of Niel Young.

If a song (Heart of Gold) is in the key of Em, will a harmonica in G work/well over an Em progression? I'm asking this as I'm rather clueless about harmonicas and G is the relative major of Em.
Anything will work over anything. So yes, you can.

The only problem is that you'll want to start on the E on the harmonica instead of the G. Because your song is in E Minor and all...
Good song,

It will because it's relative and therefore has the same notes, just make sure that you play in E min not G major. i.e Having E as the root.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Anything will work over anything. So yes, you can.

The only problem is that you'll want to start on the E on the harmonica instead of the G. Because your song is in E Minor and all...

He won't nessecarily have to start on E, just make sure that E is the root, or that it resolves to E.
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
He won't nessecarily have to start on E, just make sure that E is the root, or that it resolves to E.

I know. But this is a good way to say that for those that don't know what they're doing (no offense to TS). I just assume that most people on here don't know what they're talking about until proven otherwise.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I know. But this is a good way to say that for those that don't know what they're doing (no offense to TS). I just assume that most people on here don't know what they're talking about until proven otherwise.

no offense taken, rather amused me

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated. Now, all I have to do is learn how to play this thing..
Quote by DiminishedFifth

It's all those modes questions, isn't it?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
No, it won't.

Harmonica is a different world, so most of these people here are applying their knowledge of theory.
I play harmonica, so here ya go:

For Heart of Gold he likes to use a diatonic harp, so many musicians rarely use typical standard harps. So invest in some diatonic

Or slap a capo on the 3rd(?) fret and play with a C harp. There's ways to compensate.
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
Quote by Raven*
Or slap a capo on the 3rd(?) fret and play with a C harp. There's ways to compensate.

I don't know much about harmonicas, but if you want it to be in the same key, it would be 5th fret I think, so that the guitar would be playing in A minor, the relative minor to C major.

I have a buddy who can play the harmonica part to Heart of Gold, and when I play it on guitar (without a capo, so in E minor) I think he uses a G harp
For Heart of Gold he likes to use a diatonic harp, so many musicians rarely use typical standard harps. So invest in some diatonic

Yeppers, it's a diatonic one.

don't know much about harmonicas, but if you want it to be in the same key, it would be 5th fret I think, so that the guitar would be playing in A minor, the relative minor to C major.

This'd make more sense to me
Quote by ImaHighwayChile

Well, if the song is in E minor, good luck resolving to G...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by Raven*
No, it won't.

Harmonica is a different world, so most of these people here are applying their knowledge of theory.
I play harmonica, so here ya go:

thats because the theory isnt different. Eminor is the relative minor of G. also, ive seen video of neil getting ready to play this song and he tells the audience that hes using a G harp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE

what exactly do you think a "standard harp" is? last i check, thats what a diatonic harp IS. besides, that doesnt change the relative minor. he would still play a G harp over E minor. unless of course, he got a minor key harp.

im not sure how that would help.

OP, your root note in Eminor is the draw 6 hole. you can get a lower root note if you bend the draw 3 down a full step. but that takes practice to get right. so just stick around the middle of the harp or try to resolve there. try to end on draw notes. the blow notes on a diatonic harp make a G chord all the way up. the notes still apply to Eminor, but i find they dont sound as good to end a phrase on. plus if you play more than one note, it sounds like a G chord. obviously you could play them over a G chord if they come up.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Well, if the song is in E minor, good luck resolving to G...

I didnt say anything about resolving to G... what the hell are you talking about?

And Raven, I also play Harmonica and when I play this song I use a G harp and play it in E minor and it works fine.
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
I didnt say anything about resolving to G... what the hell are you talking about?

WELL I DID SAY SOMETHING ABOUT RESOLVING TO G ON A GMAJOR HARMONICA WHOA HOW ABOUT THAT!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOOOOOUUUUUUU TALKING ABOUT??????????????????????????/// ****
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by hockeyplayer168
WELL I DID SAY SOMETHING ABOUT RESOLVING TO G ON A GMAJOR HARMONICA WHOA HOW ABOUT THAT!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOOOOOUUUUUUU TALKING ABOUT??????????????????????????/// ****

lol, what the christ is going on here?
Quote by SilverSpurs616
lol, what the christ is going on here?

I think it's mostly me not wanting to get outdicked...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Quote by hockeyplayer168

Sorry man I'm really not getting it, you quoted me saying good luck with resolving to G when I hadn't mentioned resolving to G.... I'm confused.
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
Sorry man I'm really not getting it, you quoted me saying good luck with resolving to G when I hadn't mentioned resolving to G.... I'm confused.

ugh i dont care anymore
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw

Yes a G harp would work, but keep in mind that on your standard diatonic 10 hole harmonica that will only leave you two E notes to resolve on. (Draw on 6 and draw on 10, both in the higher(ish) register of the harmonica. You'd have no low end resolution. No granted I know you were given the harp, not picking out a harp to play over Em, but let me tell you how I'd pick it out, hopefully it helps. Actually I would play a Harp in C over and Em song. Common Cross harp for E would be A (read up on cross harp) so thus for Em would be Am. And A relative minor is the same as C major so use a C harp. This will give you three E notes to harp on in the lower, middle, and high sections all on blows for easier resolution. The only note out of key is F which is now the note of only 2 at hole 6d and 10d. Easier to play that way in my opinion than have that limitation on resolving the sound
Holy crap, a necro that's actually a useful response.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Just cause a song starts with an Em chord, or uses it often, doesn't mean that's the key. Heart of Gold is actually in the key of G. So yeah, Harp in G works perfectly. Therefore, you can also forget about the need to resolve to an Em because that's not too important for this song. All Neil does on this tune is play some simple harp in G.
Last edited by Kantner at May 11, 2013,