Page 1 of 3
I only recently downloaded a huge number of Megadeth, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Metallica Albums off the internet + Plus a few Windows Live games... How many people here have ever been caught (or know anyone who's been caught) for this kind of crime?
i dont personally know of anyone that got v& for piracy. and i only know of like 3 or 4 people that have been procesuted like ever for doing it.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
I know no one and all my mates been doing it for years, I dont but god they have shitloads, one mate has 14,000 songs and like all the seasons of Dexter, BSG etc
No risk down here.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
At our university we get about 4 or 5 people that get busted a year. Personally I don't do it because I want people to pay for my music, so why steal others?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The "law" is actually planning on prosecuting prominent illegal downloaders in the UK now so you have be careful. Although I think that blog creators and the uploaders will be initially targeted so I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote by RobinTrower12
I've never heard of anyone actually getting busted for it. Everyone does it though.

I don't. I'm one of those old fashioned people that like supporting the artist. You know, to show I actually appreciate them putting their own money, time and effort into making something I really enjoy.
Quote by RobinTrower12
I've never heard of anyone actually getting busted for it. Everyone does it though.

In that case i shall continue until my hard drive collapses into it's self.
Quote by leg end
I don't. I'm one of those old fashioned people that like supporting the artist. You know, to show I actually appreciate them putting their own money, time and effort into making something I really enjoy.

Me also but it's not inherently a bad thing to download the occasional album if you still legitimately buy tickets to see said band in concert and / or buy some merchandise. I actually spend more money on band merchandise nowadays than I do on actual music. The vast majority of a bands income does in fact come from official merchandise, not necessarily from their CD's.
P2P software is loaded with parasites which infect your registry aka spyware (malware). Now your computer is running 100x slower. Some people don't make the connection because is does not exactly prompt you for installation.

Go to download.com and get "adaware". See what it finds.
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted and most of my friends have been downloading for years.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Marrowoflife
P2P software is loaded with parasites which infect your registry aka spyware (malware). Now your computer is running 100x slower. Some people don't make the connection because is does not exactly prompt you for installation.

Come on man, noone who can tell their asshole from their elbow has used a program like Limewire for almost 5 years.

If they want to stop excessive pirating they should be targeting Google and their blog service, not the people who actually sign up and "use" the service.

So, where exactly do you live TS?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Marrowoflife

Bollocks... My computer has been running fine before and after the downloads. As far as i've noticed there's been no change at all.
I like getting stuff for free. I know it's wrong. I don't care that I'm stealing, because I don't know or give a shit about the people who make the music I listen to, I just listen to it.
Quote by shattamakar

There's an app for reporting piracy?
love is love // return to dust
Quote by shattamakar

Haha I love you man!

I think it's ok to download an album, listen to it, if you like it go out and buy it and delete the downloaded copy. If you don't like it, delete it. No harm done. But, no one's actually going to do that.
Quote by CaptDin
I like getting stuff for free. I know it's wrong. I don't care that I'm stealing, because I don't know or give a shit about the people who make the music I listen to, I just listen to it.

That's kind of a shitty attitude; without those people, the music that you enjoy so much wouldn't even exist.
Quote by leg end

Jesus that sounded smug.

Like a lot of people, I also still buy albums, but due to downloading I can hear all the music I like and choose to support the artists I feel really deserve it, instead of having to agonise over which albums to buy this month and frequently buy things I'm disappointed by.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
Jesus that sounded smug.

Like a lot of people, I also still buy albums, but due to downloading I can hear all the music I like and choose to support the artists I feel really deserve it, instead of having to agonise over which albums to buy this month and frequently buy things I'm disappointed by.

Youtube? Usually you can find any song you need. And if you can't find the song to listen to on the internet, you're not looking hard enough.
Quote by Albino Uprising
I know Radiohead doesn't care much about you pirating their music, so I stopped listening to Metallica.

lol
Quote by leg end
Youtube? Usually you can find any song you need. And if you can't find the song to listen to on the internet, you're not looking hard enough.

Not really the same though, is it? It's all illegal, your method just seems unnecessarily un-relaxed. I like to be able to get an album on impulse, listen to it as much as I like, and when I decide "yes, this is a great album" get a copy. Most of my favourite albums spent ages sitting around on my hard drive before I realised that they were brilliant. That, or I find myself in a record shop thinking "I really should get around to buying that album".
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by leg end

What's the difference? If your not paying for songs you should, listening to it on youtube or anywhere else on the internet doesn't make it not stealing. Almost 100% of the time it'll have been uploaded by someone who downloaded it from a torrent website or bought the content and is sharing it with you for free. Where's the "support" in that?
Quote by whalepudding
Not really the same though, is it? I like to be able to get an album on impulse, listen to it as much as I like, and when I decide "yes, this is a great album" get a copy. Most of my favourite albums spent ages sitting around on my hard drive before I realised that they were brilliant. That, or I find myself in a record shop thinking "I really should get around to buying that album". It's all illegal, your method just seems unnecessarily un-relaxed.

You wanna get an album but can't be bothered to make a quick playlist on Youtube then you're done. Listen to it until you can decide if you like it or not. If so, buy it, if not then fine, no one's lost anything.

Quote by Alkaline 64
What's the difference? If your not paying for songs you should, listening to it on youtube or anywhere else on the internet doesn't make it not stealing. Almost 100% of the time it'll have been uploaded by someone who downloaded it from a torrent website or bought the content and is sharing it with you for free. Where's the "support" in that?

Really? That's why quite a number of artists have their own Youtube channel where they upload their own songs to... That's why quite a few artists have Myspace and other social networking sites that they put whole albums onto... So it's not "almost 100% of the time" uploaded by someone else. Get your facts right before making a stupid point.
Last edited by leg end at Jun 15, 2010,
i only know about 75 percent of high school kids that do it and half the dumbasses don't know its illegal
Quote by whalepudding
Not really the same though, is it? It's all illegal, your method just seems unnecessarily un-relaxed. I like to be able to get an album on impulse, listen to it as much as I like, and when I decide "yes, this is a great album" get a copy. Most of my favourite albums spent ages sitting around on my hard drive before I realised that they were brilliant. That, or I find myself in a record shop thinking "I really should get around to buying that album".

Trouble is most people will just pirate said album and even if they really like it, not bother to buy it because they already have it.
Quote by Alkaline 64

So if I listen to it on Spotify it's stealling?

For me it supports the band as it's advertising them on a massive scale. Therefore it's more than likely people will go out and buy their music
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by leg end
You wanna get an album but can't be bothered to make a quick playlist on Youtube then you're done. Listen to it until you can decide if you like it or not. If so, buy it, if not then fine, no one's lost anything.

But no one does that...
Quote by Alkaline 64
But no one does that...

Yeah but that feature is there so people can. Just because you don't do it, it doesn't mean no one does...
Quote by leg end

That's pretty much the same as my system, but with lower sound quality and more usage of my monthly allowance of internets.
Quote by BradG4
I know no one and all my mates been doing it for years, I dont but god they have shitloads, one mate has 14,000 songs and like all the seasons of Dexter, BSG etc

I've been unable to find the 'final season'

ONTOPICEDIT: Never heard of anyone getting punished, except for the owners of TPB...
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Last edited by Gammas1 at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by whalepudding
That's pretty much the same as my system, but with lower sound quality and more usage of my monthly allowance of internets.

But if you end up going over your download limit cuz you've downloaded so much, you get a bill at the end of the month, if you were just to buy a hard copy of that album you won't get that bill.
Page 1 of 3