I have a Peavey ValveKing half stack amp, and through that I use a Digitech RP250, which is basically a simplified multi-effects processor. But, as you could predict, because it is digitech, it doesn't sound good. I got it when I was going through one of those stages...

Anyway, I want to sell it and get a new pedal or 2 to get a better tone.

I want a sound that is very clear and not noisy, but at the same time heavy as hell. I don't really know how to explain it other than This (maybe this too).

Basically I want that "djent" sound without replacing my amp, or changing pickups.

I play an 8 string guitar, which I thought could be messing with my amp's speakers, as its not necessarily made to hit an F# above the low E on a bass. However, I don't think that's the whole problem and there are ways around it.

So, here are my 2 questions I want answered
1) what are some good pedals/effects that would work to get a better tone?
2) I've never even unscrewed anything on my amp. how can i replace speakers and what speakers would I need for low frequency?

Thanks guys
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I have a valve king 2/12 100 watt combo, and i've been told replacing the tubes in the V2 spot can really change the tone, because it's the overdrive tube. you could try replacing the power tubes, my peavy came with Ruby 6l6's, and the guy on the site said that the power tubes give the character of the amp. http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10662
i've heard jeff loomis talking about not really using that much equipment on his rig... after listening to the links, and seeing what people use to get such simple sounding tones, you could be good with a noise suppressor and a good distortion pedal, the MXR fullbore has a noise gate built into it, but it's a little too abrasive for my taste, but that would be a good pedal to get that tone you're looking for.
It doesn't matter how good your tone is; if your technique and way of attacking the strings isn't solid and refined, then you're basically just running around in circles.
I'd look into an Overdrive pedal and run that into a gain channel on your amp. The VK should have enough workable gain to boost and get a better metal tone. I could be wrong, only played one in a shop but I found it could be done. I picked up the MXR 10 band EQ a while back and that helps shape the sound too and works well with the onboard EQ. Also, for the low end something like the BBE Sonic Stomp can work wonders and really fatten things up, corrects frequency response and stuff like that. If nothing else, pedals like that give you some more versatility to tailor your sound.
Quote by Echohead
It doesn't matter how good your tone is; if your technique and way of attacking the strings isn't solid and refined, then you're basically just running around in circles.

ive been playing about 7 years now. that could be the problem but probably not...

Quote by Grassyknolls
I have a valve king 2/12 100 watt combo, and i've been told replacing the tubes in the V2 spot can really change the tone, because it's the overdrive tube. you could try replacing the power tubes, my peavy came with Ruby 6l6's, and the guy on the site said that the power tubes give the character of the amp. http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10662
i've heard jeff loomis talking about not really using that much equipment on his rig... after listening to the links, and seeing what people use to get such simple sounding tones, you could be good with a noise suppressor and a good distortion pedal, the MXR fullbore has a noise gate built into it, but it's a little too abrasive for my taste, but that would be a good pedal to get that tone you're looking for.

i didn't think about replacing the tubes, ill check that out...

ill try that mxr pedal as well, thanks
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by rtfk101 at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by rtfk101
ive been playing about 7 years now. that could be the problem but probably not...

No I get that man it's just you can worry about "tone" forever; it's just it kind of distracts you from actually playing and writing, that's all I was getting at.
well no, I dont always fret about the way my guitar sounds. I mean I dont like it but 99% of the time I live with it, and when I'm away from the guitar I'll try to find solutions.

i'm not a huge tone freak, like "my guitar needs to be made with x wood with a 5 piece xx neck and it has to be bolt on otherwise i wont ever consider buying"
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
i was watching a video on youtube this kid was saying that he was boosting his VKs overdrive channel with a tubescreamer. it sounded pretty good to be honest
Quote by whyze250f
i was watching a video on youtube this kid was saying that he was boosting his VKs overdrive channel with a tubescreamer. it sounded pretty good to be honest

a link would be nice
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
a link would be nice

i cant find it... im totally useless. all i remember is that he talked for what seemed like 5 min before he played anything