Hi.
I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of effects are used to give the guitar a 'snarly' sound, like in many stonerish bands, like on Electric Wizard's album Dopethrone, or any Sleep song, or High on Fire. I'm a bit dumb when it comes to effects anyway, thanks!

Sleep-Dragonaut

Electric Wizard-Dopethrone

High on fire-Rumors of War

I know it involves some kind of fuzz. Thanks guys!
Quote by God
I Don't Exist. Oh, and by the way, zZpaschendaleZz is pretty cool.
Quote by zZpaschendaleZz
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of effects are used to give the guitar a 'snarly' sound, like in many stonerish bands, like on Electric Wizard's album Dopethrone, or any Sleep song, or High on Fire. I'm a bit dumb when it comes to effects anyway, thanks!

Sleep-Dragonaut

Electric Wizard-Dopethrone

High on fire-Rumors of War

I know it involves some kind of fuzz. Thanks guys!

Really low tuning and a good fuzz pedal is the way to go.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Weed.

Down tune.

Crank your bass.

A good heavy dark fuzz, something like the DAM meathead, boss fz-2, way huge swollen pickle, death by audio fuzz war would all be great.

Specifically Matt Pike got his sound from the matamp green, which just sounds like complete win in general. Sleep used to use the Laney AOR and Orange something. Now he uses Soldano SLO. I have no idea whats on the pedal board. But im pretty sure the drive comes from his amps ran in some weird way.

E. Wizard use the old boss FZ2 into matamp/sound city/orange.

Oh and weed again too.
Electric Wizard's tone IS the Boss Hyper Fuzz FZ-2. It's what Justin Osborne uses live and it can make VOX's sound like something straight out of Dopethrone. They've been discontinued in favor of newer Boss fuzz pedals, but the new ones aren't half as good. You can find FZ-2's for about $100 on Ebay; it's where I got mine.

As an alternative, Devi Ever's Hyperion Fuzz pedal also sounds pretty good. I used to use it before I got my FZ-2 and it did a pretty nice job. These also run about $100, but be warned: they take a good two months to ship, as each one is handmade to order. Guitar Center sells them online, but you're probably better off finding a better dealer.

As a much, much more expensive alternative, Orange amps are basically made for this tone. A lot of stoner bands use them, as they generally have a decent amount of gain, have a very warm, fuzzy sound, and look awesome. Big ones (Like the Thunderverb or Rockerverb) run about $1200 used, but you can get a pretty nice 15w Tiny Terror for $500 (for just the head) to $800 (for the 1x12 combo). Just be warned: the TT doesn't take well to pedals, so make sure you're very satisfied with the amount of gain before buying. The TT can handle Sleep very well, but there's not quite enough gain for Electric Wizard.
Quote by beckyjc
Weed.

Down tune.

Crank your bass.

A good heavy dark fuzz, something like the DAM meathead, boss fz-2, way huge swollen pickle, death by audio fuzz war would all be great.

Specifically Matt Pike got his sound from the matamp green, which just sounds like complete win in general. Sleep used to use the Laney AOR and Orange something. Now he uses Soldano SLO. I have no idea whats on the pedal board. But im pretty sure the drive comes from his amps ran in some weird way.

E. Wizard use the old boss FZ2 into matamp/sound city/orange.

Oh and weed again too.

+ effin one!

And also for the FZ-2.
That into a good amp is basically it.
Haha alright. I dont think I have money for weed or effect pedals but thanks guys. I have no job (im pretty young though), but once i get one i should be able to upgrade my shitty peavy 15w and terrible 50 buck multi effect pedal. thanks guys! and I heard this: Matt Pike's teeth are what make you not want to do drugs. His sound makes you want to do drugs.
Quote by God
I Don't Exist. Oh, and by the way, zZpaschendaleZz is pretty cool.
I really like my Boss HM-3 for stoner/doom type tones. It's sorta like if an HM-2 and a germanium fuzz got it on.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2