Hey,

So I've been playing a while, but I suck. I never practised, but now I'm in a band I need to.

We're learning "Hit me with your best shot", I know, GH3, but anyway, the solo starts with:

E-------11-14-11-12----11-----------
B----12--------------14----12-14-12-
G-13---------------------------------

I know it should be simple, but like I said I suck. It's around 128 bmp, all pretty much sixteenth notes.

So my problem is speed. I just can't do it fast enough, and if I can it sounds muted and crap.

I know your gonna say practise, I've looked at a few lessons, but I just don't get how?

Any help guys?
Practice.

You CAN play it, just not well enough to play it as fast as the original. If you get better at playing it you'll be able to play it faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
e-------11-14-11-12----11-----------
B----12--------------14----12-14-12-
G-13---------------------------------

Sweep the first 3 notes, alternate pick the rest.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Dam, I hoped I could get some magic potion or something.

I just lack motivation when I seem to get nowhere.

Edit: I've been playing a while, but I still suck. I guess it's because of no teacher forcing me to practise, but I just don't seem to improve.
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Jun 15, 2010,
Just keep at it. I recently was on a hiatus on guitar playing and I really really suck. *my fingering hand sucks and cannot coordinate with my picking hand when alternate picking*

Though recently I tried practicing for 4 hours straight no stops. I guess it helped a bit as I can tell that it kinda retold how to do certain things etc etc. *going off topic now lol sorry*

Again, just keep at it and don't give up! If you need a break from that song do so but that is if your band is not in a hurry to play it.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Dam, I hoped I could get some magic potion or something.

I just lack motivation when I seem to get nowhere.

Edit: I've been playing a while, but I still suck. I guess it's because of no teacher forcing me to practise, but I just don't seem to improve.

You've been here long enough you should know there's no quick fixes in guitar.

In regards to the lick, just work at it with a metronome. You'll get it eventually. If you need motivation, listen to some of your favorite artists. It works for me. Whenever I hear John Petrucci or Paul Gilbert or Satch etc. I always want to pick up my guitar and play.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.