I just got a new Yorville 100B and I'm planning on getting one of those cheap EB-03 Epiphone basses, the SG with a sidewinder and a mini humbucker then run it through a fuzz and give it some edge. But I've heard some many mixed reactions to these basses so I'm going to go play it today, is it even going to be worth my time?
In my experience the Les Paul Basses are of a higher quality then SG basses. Hold on i'm trying to find a link to this one les paul bass i played that was really nice.
EDIT: Never mind i was talking about the woody allen signature and that's out of your price range. Honesty I would take the thunderbird bass over the SG bass.
Last edited by salgala2000 at Jun 15, 2010,
try it. if you like, get it, but i wouldn't if i where you.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
This is the problem. Everyone on fourms hates this bass, everyone thats buys and reviews it love it dispite it's short comings. **** me. I was thinking about getting a Thunderbird Pro. And nothing is out of my price range, I just play in a mediocore punk band so I'm not going to drop a grand on a bass and look like a douche bag.
Because having a nice bass makes you a douche...
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If you're seriously set on getting a Gibson bass, buy an old Ripper, Grabber, or G3. The closest thing to a decent bass by Gibson I've ever played. Right at home in a punk band too.
Ive played gibson and epiphone basses before. Theres nothing "wrong" with them (except the TB) but I just think you can do much better for the money
Ive played the EPI EB3 and I hate there tone. They have 1 tone you can get out of them and its called SHIT! Ide suggest looking at squire, ibanez or yamaha basses.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
You apparently don't give a shit about what bass you get if you're concerned with getting a bass that is "too good." Just get a VM P-bass.
If your going for a cheap bass, get a squier vm jazz. But If you really dont care about tone, then get an epiphone. I mean, a bass is a bass, and if you dont think your band will stick around long enough for you to buy a descent instrument, then dont.
You gotta remember that all these things are OUR opinnions and may not be what is best for you. Go with your gut.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
The Epi EB3 has a great tone, its just very neck heavy.

I set mine up for the first time in 4 years a few weeks ago, might start using it again for more than just p*ssing about in my room!

No more green frets

PS - Dont get a T-bird.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
PS dont get anything epiphone....
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
get a Fender/Squire P.....seriously awesome "mediocore punk band" bass / sound

average to exrtaodinary price tags....better balance than ANY Epi...do it...

HAVE FUN!
Last edited by HATe410 at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by Big-TOG
This is the problem. Everyone on fourms hates this bass, everyone thats buys and reviews it love it dispite it's short comings. **** me. I was thinking about getting a Thunderbird Pro. And nothing is out of my price range, I just play in a mediocore punk band so I'm not going to drop a grand on a bass and look like a douche bag.

I've played the thunderbird pro and i've owned a standard epiphone thunderbird.

the thunderbird pro feels really nice, has an active preamp and has better fret acces than the standard model.

i say go for that

x

P.S. stop your bitchy whining
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by HATe410
get a Fender/Squire P VM or NOT.....seriously awesome "mediocore punk band" bass / sound with, average to Exrtodinary price tags....better balance than ANY Epi...do it...

HAVE FUN!

That was somewhat illegible, but from what I interpreted, you're suggesting that the Fender price tags can be described as "extraordinary" when compared to Gibsons China-counterpart? Well... certainly an appropriate time for this smilie...

Don't compare the price tag of a Fender to an Epiphone, that's like comparing a Gibson to a Squier. Fenders are just more reasonably priced instruments, and a lot better too (certainly in the bass world anyway).

Oh, and the TS said he plays in a punk band anyway, so surely the P-bass treble picked sound is the way to go? Most decent punk bands bassists played P-basses, and there's reasons for that.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jun 17, 2010,
I compared a P to the SG. I'm getting a nice black P with a nice big humbucker and loved it. And it's marked down from 1000 to like 650. So yea, thanks. UG saved me a huge hassle.