So basically, I have this guitar.

The dot inlays are not something that I fancy. I prefer that there is nothing at all on the fretboard, or maybe something at the 12th fret (if anything)

so is there a way to remove the inlays without making the guitar look like crap?
Or maybe is it possible to replace the fretboard? I wouldn't be able to do that at home so I am hoping someone suggests a company of some kind...

if theres any kind of way around this, let me know. thanks!
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
no. you'd need to get a new neck or a new guitar.
you can paint over the fretboard I suppose but that's not gonna turn out well.
The inlays are stuck into holes drilled into the guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Replacing a fretboard is not something even a luthier would attempt to do if he doesn't have to. Maybe scalloping would make them disappear, though I'm not sure if the dots are not seated deeper than that, and if you don't want a scalloped board, it's a no go.

I assume it's a bolt-on neck, so it might be easier to have a luthier make a custom neck for it, with no inlays.
I would have put this in GB&C instead of here, but i can tell you that the process isn't easy, unless you go for fretboard stickers (and it would look bad to just have a "rosewood" sticker) you run a pretty high risk of ruining your guitar if you try to redo the fingerboard and inlaying it yourself, and I doubt many professional luthiers would be willing to do it cheaply, and certainly would have a hard time guaranteeing success. If i were you I'd either deal with it, or buy stickers

edit: yeah... wasn't thinking, but if its a bolt on you can just buy a new neck for it, or even have one made to fit it.
Last edited by kurtebirdi at Jun 15, 2010,
you can get vinyl inlays (stickers) off ebay and other places. have a look at them

but otherwise, no, itd be far cheaper and easier to get a new guitar or neck
well u could probably cut deeper into fretboard (i dont recommend this) and have bigger inlays, but thats not at all a smart idea, in fact i would recommend to get a new neck overall
Eh.
I also have a dislike for dots, and on my RG320QS, I got inlay stickers from ebay, and I think it turned out really cool. You can check it out (pics on my profile) if you want. I wouldn't recommend doing anything else though.

I've also read that if you take a brown marker and color in the dots, it'll look alright. Probably will from a distance.

Other than that, think: Is getting a new neck, or destroying your neck, really worth it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I dont find dots to bad, but i wanted to try the stickers i bought the tree of life inlay stickers, worked great, dont even notice them on my VMNTX
It's not worth the time, effort or money to replace anything in the guitar, it they're really bothering you, paint over them LIGHTLY, or just colour them with permanent marker, they're the easiest options. Alternatively, you could just forget about it and wait until you buy a new guitar or something, because reaplacing the fretboard or buying a new neck and having it fitted etc. is, in my opinion, not worth it.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by Bassist Rising at Jun 16, 2010,
You're best off to deal with the dots or get a custom neck from somebody like Warmoth Custom Parts. Or score something from eBay used
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
You can replace a fretboard there is a tutorial on projectguitar. Its way easier to just unbolt the neck. And even easier to live with the dot inlays. If it was just killing you its possible to find some wood dot inlays and put them in the old holes.
The only cheap solution is to dye the fretboard black. If done right the dots will be almost invisible, but will still be able to be seen if you look closely. Replacing the fretboard is a job only for a skilled luthier and is quite expensive.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Buy an Ibanez neck of Ebay that has no inlays except at the 12th fret.

done.

I wouldnt recommend that,it would just be a waste of money,cause he is buying a whole new neck just for the inlays..that is crazy

I will just but a set of stickers from Ebay if I were you

then again,why did you buy it if you dont like it?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
I wouldnt recommend that,it would just be a waste of money,cause he is buying a whole new neck just for the inlays..that is crazy

I will just but a set of stickers from Ebay if I were you

Because he most likely liked how it played, and IMO playability>looks.
Quote by archenemyfan

dots on the fretboard aren't going to keep me from buying the guitar, I would just prefer that they arent there.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by yellowv
The only cheap solution is to dye the fretboard black. If done right the dots will be almost invisible, but will still be able to be seen if you look closely. Replacing the fretboard is a job only for a skilled luthier and is quite expensive.

Black oil dye. The link in my sig to my projects has a bass with dots. I dyed over it and you can barely see them now. At a distance they're invisible.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by rtfk101
dots on the fretboard aren't going to keep me from buying the guitar, I would just prefer that they arent there.

then just ignore them..i wouldnt want to ruin my fretboard by applying a set of stickers or waste my money buying a whole new neck for a brand new guitar..thats stupid, especially considering that the neck has no flaws or problems whatsoever