I'm in the market for an overdrive/boost pedal that will give me that dirty, cranked marshall tube sound with my amp on clean, and then clean up nicely if I roll off the volume on the guitar, and that responds really well to playing dynamics. I know the box of rock and the OCD are meant to be good but my budget doesn't stretch that far - more around £50 - £70

At the moment I have to use the amp as clean as possible because my big muff muddys up and loses definition and bite at the slightest hint of dirt from the amp. Obviously this means the only way to get between clean, dirty and distortion is to be pressing about a million buttons at once.
So I need a pedal that goes before the big muff which would need to be permanently on, and then I can get my clean, dirt, OD, and distortion sound with not so much tap dancing.

A midrange boost would be good as well because I'll be running it before my big muff which has a scooped eq.

My amp is a marshall avt150h with a 1936 cab, and my guitar is an epiphone les paul custom. I play pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, hendrix, queens of the stone age.

Thanks!
Check out a Boss BD-2 or SD-1, or any of the multitude of tubescreamer clones out there.

The best thing to do would be to take your Muff (lol) to a guitar shop and try a few ODs before it.
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
check out tonerider? apparently it's a ts9 clone (or fairly close) with true bypass. Haven't tried it but i have their distortion and chorus. nice pedals, especially for the money. EDIT: i dunno if a ts is that marshally, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks I'll check out the tonerider and the boss pedals you suggested. I've heard that they don't clean up too well though, and there isn't a guitar shop that I can try stuff out at anywhere near where I live. The DLS looks awesome but I dunno where I'd find one within my price range - but thats definitely the type of pedal I'm thinking about
I reckon the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive would be worth a punt. Supposed to be very similar to a Fulltone OCD which cleans up great
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Leverageofspace
Check out a Boss BD-2

I second this.

I mainly use it as a clean boost for my marshall overdrive channel, but on occasions I use it for blues and other things.

The pedal is like an earlier version of the Boss Dyna-Drive which basically behaves differently depending on how much signal is entering the pedal.

Very natural sounding!
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I reckon the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive would be worth a punt. Supposed to be very similar to a Fulltone OCD which cleans up great

i don't really like it so much as a boost. nice pedal for the money, though (though mine seems to be a little dodgy ). I prefer the trans version for a boost, it's a really nice pedal for the money, but it doesn't have the mid hump he wants.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Try getting a used DLS, you might find one in your prices range. Or maybe a bit over, but it's worth it.

I own one and its definitely +1234567890
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I own one and its definitely +1234567890

Can I have it?

At the moment the DLS looks like my first choice, but I'm torn between this and the OCD (or the danelectro if it's basically the same) and the Box of Rock
the mid hump isn't really necessary, I only suggested that because I'd be running it before my big muff. What's most important is that sounds like an amp in it's own right because I'd be using it as the main overdrive on a clean amp.

I'm also thinking about the MXR distortion 3?
which one of these 4 is the best for that cranked sound when used on a totally clean amp?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't really like it so much as a boost. nice pedal for the money, though (though mine seems to be a little dodgy ). I prefer the trans version for a boost, it's a really nice pedal for the money, but it doesn't have the mid hump he wants.

Ahh I didn't see the bit where he said it was for boosting his Big Muff. Yeah definitely the TOD then
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
^

just bear in mind that it's only the v1 (the one with the yellow/beige sticker, not the one with the black "v2" sticker) which is the clone of the ocd. I have no idea how close it is, i haven't tried the ocd
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Try getting a used DLS, you might find one in your prices range. Or maybe a bit over, but it's worth it.

I agree. A Tubescreamer won't deliver the marshall sound by any means, but the DLS does. Not to mention it's incredibly touch sensitive.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments