Sooooo it's about time for me to buy a new guitar. I'm going to be starting to play a more blues, jazz, and classic rock oriented style, since I'm a heavy metal player at the moment. The current guitar I own is an Ibanez Xiphos. What I'm most likely going to end up doing is leave the Xiphos in dropped C tuning (with thicker strings) and use the blues guitar more.

My price range is something around $500 (not too much more). I've had my eye on the MK Patriot Glory (I'm big on inlays). Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I'm rolling with a VOX Valvetronix AD15VT amp
Last edited by gacharya at Jun 16, 2010,
i would look at something with at least one humbucker or splitable humbuckers
Well to make your adjustment a little easier on your mind and ears I suggest an HSS of some kind. I went straight from playing hard rock to an SSS strat and was like AHHH I need more pickup! So yeah, try an HSS MIM strat out and that will br right up your alley, sound and price wise.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
michael kelly guitars are great, but thats more of a rock guitar. you could use it for anything though.

I mean i use, a telecaster for blues & funk. Nothing wrong with it, sounds great.
Most sane guitars can handle blues.
Ones out of it, well you know ofc.

Play some, see which ones you like. i mean the Xiphos is a 25'5 scale neck, you're looking at a 24'75 scale neck guitar there.

Try a bunch out at stores, if you're still not satisfied, look online again.
fender hss standard strat or epiphone les paul standard
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Check out a semi-hollow guitar like an Epi Dot, Wildkat or one of the Ibanez Artcores.
Thanks for the replies!
So the MK Patriot Glory is a no-go? I really (really!) like the looks of it, and it feels pretty nice too the one time i got my hands one on.
For blues only, a classic semi-hollow design like an ES-335 would be good.
For blues-rock, a low gain Les Paul. You can also use a semi-hollow or a strat, but I think when it starts getting into rock territory an HB solidbody guitar w/ low gain pickups would be good (what's considered low gain in the humbucker world).

For jazz, it's either an LP or a semi-hollow. A semi-hollow would be more suitable for jazz in terms of looks.

Anyway, you can't describe classic rock in one tone. Some used Fenders and other Gibsons. The amp also matters.
Why not a Les Paul / good Les Paul copy? They are perfect blues rock guitars.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I think you may like a Les Paul with some coil-splitters or a good telecaster with maybe a splittable bridgebucker like a DiMarzio Chopper or something.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Oh by the way....I'm rolling with a VOX Valvetronix AD15VT amp

Are there any specific models people can point me towards? I've been hearing a lot of Les Paul and Stratocaster... but there's a really wide range of those guitars. Oh, and I'm going to buy used if I can.

While Les Pauls do sound nice, I've never really liked the look of them...anything else?
Last edited by gacharya at Jun 16, 2010,
The SG worked for clapton.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
What about the Fender Lonestar/Roadhouse? Virtually the only difference between the two is that the Roadhouse has a bridge humbucker, while the Lonestar has all 3 single-coil pickups.

Is my amp alright for blues-y stuff?
Quote by Glenn Guitar
michael kelly guitars are great, but thats more of a rock guitar. you could use it for anything though.

I mean i use, a telecaster for blues & funk. Nothing wrong with it, sounds great.
Most sane guitars can handle blues.
Ones out of it, well you know ofc.

Play some, see which ones you like. i mean the Xiphos is a 25'5 scale neck, you're looking at a 24'75 scale neck guitar there.

Try a bunch out at stores, if you're still not satisfied, look online again.

No it isn't, it's a guitar, you can play anything you like on it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No it isn't, it's a guitar, you can play anything you like on it.

I think he meant that it's meant more for heavier sounding music (and therefore not the one I'm looking for)