I came back from the store yesterday with an Ibanez Omar Rodriguez signature guitar which comes with the single mini-humbucker in the bridge and nothing else.

I'm finding the pickup doesnt sound great clean (it's a bit harsh) and for heavier stuff it sounds fairly weak/tinny and has poor sustain. But I love the heck out of this little guitar so I think a new pickup is in order!

Can you recommend something that will fit this guitar which has a good range of tones? I was thinking a Duncan JB Jr, but maybe there are better options?

I'd really like this guitar to be a good all rounder. Decent clean tones with the ability to turn on the shred if I want... I know this is a tall order for a guitar with only 1 pickup and 1 volume pot!
Does your guitar look like this one?
http://www.brindleysmusic.com/zoomify.aspx?src=images/PRODUCT/large/ae00-1492&altsrc=images/PRODUCT/large/ae00-1492.jpg

We can probably make some recommendations but we need to know a bit more about what kind of music you play, what amp you play it through and what your budget is.

But yes the JB is versatile.
You could do what I'm doing with mine. Rout it, install an EMG81TWX, add EMG SPC and EMG EXG for some extra versatility, fin.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
You could do what I'm doing with mine. Rout it, install an EMG81TWX, add EMG SPC and EMG EXG for some extra versatility, fin.

That is a great idea tbh, although the ORM1 isn't the stereotypical br00tz guitar.

If I had my way I'd have two ORM1s, white and black. Super cool.
Quote by Tedward
That is a great idea tbh, although the ORM1 isn't the stereotypical br00tz guitar.

That's what I like about it.

Anyways, I don't tune down low enough for the 24" scale to be a concern and it's the best neck ever placed on a guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Bugger, I forgot to subscribe to this thread so I didn't realise there had been replies! I went ahead and ordered a JB Jr last night in black, but this morning they tell me they only have white so I just took the white seeing as the price was awesome compared to everywhere else.

I fully expect that at some point I will route the body for humbuckers, EMGs would be such a statement in this thing! It's a cheap enough guitar to go to town on modding it =] New pickups, tone control, better tuners, new paintjob..i'm gonna have some fun with this one for sure.

Thanks again for the replies.
Omar uses a JB junior in his guitars so you should be happy
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
I just wanted to add a note to this thread in case anyone else stumbles across it looking to do the same as me.

The JB Jr does not fit in the ORM1 as stock. So only buy one (or similar ones) if you are happy to either make some space on the guitar or remove some plastic from the pickup. I had to remove quite a lot of plastic around the edges to get it to fit. You will also need to use the screws and spacing foam from the stock pickup as the Seymour Duncan ones won't be of any use here.

The guitar definitely sounds better now, but the sustain/harmonics are still crap, so my quest continues! Maybe I'll try the humbucker route sooner than I thought!