Hey guys. I just finished my sophomore year in high school and I've decided to get a job and save up for a half stack. I've always told myself (and others) that I've wanted a Triple Rectifier, but the more and more I listen to demos of it on youtube, the less appealing it is to me. Now don't get me wrong, I love the tone of it, but is it really the best I can do? I'm looking for a tone similar to Alter Bridge's (and Creed's) Mark Tremonti. I know that the Triple Rec is his favorite amp but seems to be using it less and less these days. I also LOVE the tone on Metallica's new album, Death Magnetic.

Other amps that I've been looking at are the Bugera 6262, Laboga Mr. Hector, and the Bugera Trirec (although that one has not been released yet).

Right now I just have a 2x12 combo Vox Valvestate AD50VT-XL that gets a pretty good heavy tone, but there's only so much a modeling amp can do.

Could you guys vouch for the Triple Rec or any of these other amps and talk me into something? Or at least help me find what it is I'm really looking for?

If you need further information about my situation, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask!
If you're planning on buying a Triple Rec, you're obviously going to be saving up a lot. I'd say save up for a Mesa Mark series amp.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
i would suggest you try the amp for yourself and NEVER judge over poor quality, compressed, probably poorly eq'ed amps over what is most likely recorded over a camera amp and listened though computer speakers. see how that doesn't give the real sound at all?

seriously, go play the thing. play the dual rectifier while you're at it, and the Mark V too. learn to EQ that thing and you'll easily hit metal as well. then go try out other amps as well. randall, bugera, engl, bogner, etc.

if you're spending that much money, your options are pretty much limitless amp wise. try them all and choose your favourite.
Yeah User_Name336 is right!
Take YOUR OWN GUITAR to a shop and try the dual and triple rectifiers and the Mesa Mark V and see if they float your boat. While you are there try ALL the other usual highgain suspects: Engl Powerball/Fireball, Peavey 6505/3120, Marshall JVM 410 and even some boutique stuff like Bogner or Diezel.
Quite honestly, if you're in your sophomore year of high school. Save up for a cheaper amp. You'll need money down the road, for post-secondary education, other interests, girlfriends. Ask yourself this: Do you NEED a Triple Rec? The answer is probably no.

Look into a Peavey 6505, a Carvin V3, or other cheap but great amps.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
tremonti uses a triple rect. but he himself has said that his "secret weapon" is his two rock custom amp head that he runs through his triple rect. 4x12s. he also uses diezel amps from what i've heard. i know a lot of awesome guys use those. hope that helps man
man i just bought a mesa boogie express 5:25 and absolutely love it. im not suggesting this amp for you but i do suggest physically playing the amp yourself. you'd be amazed with the difference between hearing live compared to a youtube video. even the best of youtube amp demos dont serve any justice to the tone.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Thank you guys for the input. When I check out vids on youtube, I do the best to pick out the ones that were mic'd, but I understand that in order to really hear the amp, you have to play it yourself. I will be going by a guitar center or something of the sort with my PRS and trying out all these amps. If you guys have any other amp suggestions, please tell me about them. I really am loving the Bogner Uberschall..
My personal opinion is that the triple recto is not the be-all-end-all of amps. And it may very well not be the appropriate amp for you.

First off, the triple recto is a very loud amp. Being a high school kid, you may not really have thought about the implications of that. But it's hard to play around other people with an amp like that without annoying them. Unless you plan to also pay for rehearsal space, it's overkill.

Second, a big head like that with a 4x12 make for a very heavy amp - very inconvenient to lug around. You may think you won't care about that now, but in 6 months when the 'new' has worn off you'll be cursing how heavy it is.

Third, that amp is designed for arena and festival sized gigs. How many of those are you playing? How many do you expect to play? The triple recto is a pretty good sounding amp, but a lot of that goes out the window if you have to set the master volume on "1". If your plans are to jam with friends, rehearse, and play local gigs it will be too much amp.

Fourth, a few years from now you may no longer be so enamored with Mark Tremonti. When I was a kid I was a huge Santana fan. I wanted to play like him. I bought a PRS and a Mesa Mark I to sound like him. Many years down the road, while I still like Santana, I no longer own the Mark I or the PRS and I don't really want to sound like Santana any more. Every once in a while I play one of their songs at a gig, but that's it. Point being, tastes change, and tastes formed as a kid change more than most. Think before you spend a ton of money to sound just like your hero.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
For that kind of money you should definitely go for a Mark series Mesa. My personal favorite is the Mark IIC+. The challenge of course will be finding one, as they are not in production anymore. For the money, the Mark series sounds WAY better than the Rec series.
Why did you want the triple rectifier if you've never played it???
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
i disagree with that wholehartedly. in high school, you have no expenses if you live at home. if you have a decent job its ALL spendin money. buy your amp now. get a good one, and make it last. cause once you are out of college, you are BROKE for a long time. i have the best job ive had in my short life, but im in college and im 22, and just about all of it goes elsewhere. i literally broke my bank buying a 350 dollar bugera tube amp.

if i was in high school i would have a 1000+ guitar and a 1000+ amp. because i spent all my money on gold and paintball. i was sponsored, and easily spent probably well over 5000 on paintball in high school. my setup was well over 1000 bucks easy. cause i had no expenses.

i didnt really get into guitar till the end of high school/college. now i cant afford jack. i love my gear, but a epi les paul custom and a bugera tube amp is probably what i will be using for the next 5 years at least.

if it is what your into, GET IT NOW WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG!
Save up the money first, then when you have it you can shop around, maybe even check out some boutique amps. That way you won have to go "oh man I have to save $2500" and whoever is selling the amp, either a chain store like GC or a company that makes boutique amps, will take you seriously if you have the money already.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by stilt37
tremonti uses a triple rect. but he himself has said that his "secret weapon" is his two rock custom amp head that he runs through his triple rect. 4x12s. he also uses diezel amps from what i've heard. i know a lot of awesome guys use those. hope that helps man

yuum two rock.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Look for a single rec???
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
if you are determined to own a 100+ watt firebreather while living at home, be prepared to get a serious attenuator as well. 100w plus straight to the cab you won't be able to get the volume up past when it actually kicks in with the thing in your bedroom.

I have the weber 100w mass and i like it a lot. I squash my 120w nitro down to hell with it. In 60w mode I can easily get the master to noon, in 120w i can get it over 9, with the setup in my office/man cave whatever.
Guitars
Amps
that's not necessarily true. if you don't want too much power tube distortion it's all godo.
im talking about having usable volume levels, not even really power amp breakup.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by ikey_
i disagree with that wholehartedly. in high school, you have no expenses if you live at home. if you have a decent job its ALL spendin money. buy your amp now. get a good one, and make it last. cause once you are out of college, you are BROKE for a long time. i have the best job ive had in my short life, but im in college and im 22, and just about all of it goes elsewhere. i literally broke my bank buying a 350 dollar bugera tube amp.

if i was in high school i would have a 1000+ guitar and a 1000+ amp. because i spent all my money on gold and paintball. i was sponsored, and easily spent probably well over 5000 on paintball in high school. my setup was well over 1000 bucks easy. cause i had no expenses.

i didnt really get into guitar till the end of high school/college. now i cant afford jack. i love my gear, but a epi les paul custom and a bugera tube amp is probably what i will be using for the next 5 years at least.

+1 also im really into guitar but im also into some other expensive hobbies....Chances are you will too...do it while you can...even in the long run if you dont want it you can sell and get back most the money you put out for it
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
i dunno. i run 3 100watt heads and my cat sleeps through my practicing.
Quote by Doodleface
Quite honestly, if you're in your sophomore year of high school. Save up for a cheaper amp. You'll need money down the road, for post-secondary education, other interests, girlfriends. Ask yourself this: Do you NEED a Triple Rec? The answer is probably no.

Look into a Peavey 6505, a Carvin V3, or other cheap but great amps.

Not what he asked.

Quote by ikey_

You are a genius.

I suggest what had already been said. Play amps and find out what YOU like. My favorite amp sound that I have played so far is a Bugera 333 XL, with a Mesa Boogie Nomad in second. I played the both the same day. I am saying what you think you may like will not usually be what you actually like.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by ikey_

I think this is great advice. Thank you so much for your comment!
Thank you guys very much for your replies. I actually have a recording studio and a sound booth so being TOO loud isn't a huge issue for me. I will make the trip to guitar center with my guitar soon and try out a few amps including the rectifier, mark v/iv, some bugeras, and more. Once again, your comments and tips are appreciated. Thank you.
I still say that a single rectifier would be a great idea. It will sound great at a gig because of the lower headroom. You can push it farther than a firebreathing triple rec. There is a good clip of this guy playing his single rec into an orange 2x12 mic'd up. Look for it on youtube.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I still say that a single rectifier would be a great idea. It will sound great at a gig because of the lower headroom. You can push it farther than a firebreathing triple rec. There is a good clip of this guy playing his single rec into an orange 2x12 mic'd up. Look for it on youtube.

Hmm.. I like your idea but I want the tone of a triple or dual rectifier, not a single.. So I've been thinking about something new.. Could I be better off with a Dual Rectifier instead of a Triple because of the lower wattage (hence, lower headroom)? I know that I want to go with one of the new models AKA the Rectifier Reborn. It has a multi-watt feature where I can change the wattage to 50 watts. So with that feature, is the Triple still what I should go for or would the Dual be more adequate?
crank it up man, hopefully you're family can get used to their faces being melted on a daily basis. boo on this attenuator nonsense

I was jamming with a cover band in their basement last week. the guitarist had a triple rec, sounded very good, he did have a rather large pedal board in front of it though.
Sounds to me like the triple rec might be the amp for you! It's way louder than you need, even if you are gigging, but it's nice to know you have the power on tap if you need it. You will never be able to get good power amp distortion from a triple rec because it's just too damn loud but it doesn't sound like you need power amp distortion. If you do find yourself getting more interested in classic rock then you will need to look into some lower wattage options eventually but there are tones of great classic rock amps that are pretty cheap and there are not many metal amps that are cheap so get the metal amp when you can afford it. As others have mentioned, the best time to get it is when you are young and living at home. Otherwise you may find yourself waiting a really long time.