Ok so I've recently gotten into building a guitar. I love Ibanez necks, so I considered trying to mimic one for my build.

After looking into it, I gathered this information:

Ibanez Original Prestige neck (fretboard included in these measurements):
- 17mm/~.67 inches at first fret
- 19mm/~.75 inches at twelfth fret

Then I looked at building a neck, and got this info:
- Fretboard should be at least .25" thick
- Truss rod channel is .375" deep
- Should have at least .125" of wood behind truss rod

Then I did the math...

0.25+0.375+0.125= 0.75" at the thinnest point.

So my question is: How do they do it? I recall hearing that they use a thinner style of truss rod, but the only ones I can find available at retail require the 3/8" deep channel.

I have scrapped the idea since then, and decided to go with a slightly thicker neck profile. However, I'm still curious as to how they do this. Can anyone offer any knowledge on the subject?
If you look at an ibanez neck as oppose to say a jackson neck you'll see the jackson is one long peice of wood for the neck, with a socket near the end of the neck with a new piece of wood for the headstock. On the ibanez you'll see its made up of around 3 to 5 peices of thin but long pieces ( depending if its straight maple or not), I can only gues that this gives it extra stenght as oppose to the other style of neck.
They do indeed use thin style truss rods. Good luck finding some though. Fretboards can be a little thinner though, about .2" will suffice if you really are wanting a thinner neck.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
They're made by wizards, hence the name. Only large amounts of hocus pocus and alchemy will get you to that sort of thickness. Just watch any disney fairy tale film and you'll get the idea.
Last edited by pot head pyro at Jun 16, 2010,
19mm = .75 (.749, actually)
19mm - 17mm = 2mm
2mm = .07874"

make your fretboard 5mm (.1965) or 3/16" (.1875)... it'll be close enough.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Rout the truss rod channel half into the fretboard. If you use a 7 piece neck its unlikely you'll ever find out the cons to doing this anyway.

Need to actually be good with a router though and set up good jigs.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by C/ruel
Rout the truss rod channel half into the fretboard. If you use a 7 piece neck its unlikely you'll ever find out the cons to doing this anyway.

Need to actually be good with a router though and set up good jigs.

This seems hazardous and dangerous for fretboard integrity...

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
19mm = .75 (.749, actually)
19mm - 17mm = 2mm
2mm = .07874"

make your fretboard 5mm (.1965) or 3/16" (.1875)... it'll be close enough.

This seems to make the most sense.. I measured my RG's freboard and it seems to be 3/16th of an inch.
you can get smaller truss rods, and the cheapest type are just a 3mm-4mm thick threaded rod, though it has to be pre-bent by the fillet sticking out more in the middle.

My idea would be to use two 1x10mm lengths of flat spring steel, with adjustment a the heel end.

Or some kind of thick bass string from the back of the neck
It is possible to do that little route in the back of the fretboard, but it'd be risky. I thinkn they did something like that in "Make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
the allparts dual action truss rods work best and they're fairly low profile. better than stewmac dual action rods you can get pretty thin with them
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology