So I decided that since I just bought a really nice guitar, I need an equally nice amp to go along with it.

My question is what amp would be good enough.

I play anything from Pierce the Veil to U2, and I definitely need something that is versatile. I currently will be trying to sell my current head for $500, so anything from $1000-1200 is pretty reasonable, I may be convinced to go up to $2000 if that's really what I should do.

Right now my guitars are a Fender Stratocaster 2008 American Standard and a Taylor Standard Solidbody Electric.

I also would love something that can handle effects without losing tone, so ideally something that has no more than three channels. I'd ideally like 2.

Thanks.
Right Now I'm running through the Line 6 Hd100 tube amplifier. It doesn't sound horrible in my opinion, I just want something with more flexibility for pedals and things like that. I would also prefer something that actually responds to the different guitars I plug into it.

I am not currently gigging, but I do plan on doing so in the near future *crosses fingers*
These "I play everything" threads are hard - because obviously there's no one amp that's best for everything. And the high end channel switching amps that are pretty good for nearly everything are outside your budget.

So I'll recommend what I usually do: A used Mesa Tremoverb head and either 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab loaded with vintage 30s. Which speaker config you should get depends on how willing you are to move it. That should come in under $2000 combined, and gives you excellent cleans and a couple of good distortion sounds.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Yeah I was debating the tremoverb. My other idea was purchase an amp known for its cleans (twin reverb or ac30) and putting various effects in front of it to find the tone I want.
A twin is always an option - that's what a lot of the pros do. The dowside to twins is that there's a real limit to what kind of distorted tones you can coax out of them.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Randall RM50 or RM100M series - basically they operate using modular tube preamps that have the preamp circuit of basically any and every amp out there, from the Marshall Plexi to Diezel to Vox to Mesa/Boogie. Check out different modules and decide which ones sound best for you. I'd recommend looking into Salvation and Jaded Faith modules.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Even Bigger D
These "I play everything" threads are hard - because obviously there's no one amp that's best for everything. And the high end channel switching amps that are pretty good for nearly everything are outside your budget.

So I'll recommend what I usually do: A used Mesa Tremoverb head and either 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab loaded with vintage 30s. Which speaker config you should get depends on how willing you are to move it. That should come in under $2000 combined, and gives you excellent cleans and a couple of good distortion sounds.

wrong. caa pt100. : ).

Dude used tremoverbs and rectoverbs are going for like 600-1100 right now. It's crazy delicious.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
wrong. caa pt100. : ).

Dude used tremoverbs and rectoverbs are going for like 600-1100 right now. It's crazy delicious.

I'm a fan of John Suhr's work (see the CAE in the sig) but there's no way that hits the desired price point.

And yes, the current price of tremoverbs is insane. Everyone should buy a couple just to have around the house
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

I may be biased because I love them but maybe try some Hughes & Kettner heads. They are great clean have a great british style gain channel & also are great for heavier metal tones. I've had a Trilogy & I have a Triamp MkII now great amps & they have 3 channels each with an a/b channel each are amazing but as I said maybe be a bit biased but worth a shot
EX-Guitar Player...
Quote by njm0830
How much are the modules tho?

Anywhere from $150 to $250 on their own, I think.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Do the Randall's suffer in tone because of the switching out of preamps? Sorry I don't have a huge technical knowledge on how amps work I just know the signal goes through the preamp into the poweramp to the speakers.

Would an AC30 be able to handler the higher distortion? I know they do have some built in gain...
Quote by njm0830
Do the Randall's suffer in tone because of the switching out of preamps? Sorry I don't have a huge technical knowledge on how amps work I just know the signal goes through the preamp into the poweramp to the speakers.

Would an AC30 be able to handler the higher distortion? I know they do have some built in gain...

The removable modules don't hurt the tone. However, there is some debate about how good some of the modules sound. I considered the Randall RM4 (the rackmount version of their system) when I recently re-did my rack, and I decided after trying it that it didn't sound as good as my CAE.

IMO AC30s top out at Queen style distortion. Past that point, the power amp really isn't up to the task. You can do it, but I don't think it sounds good. There's a reason all the really good high gain heads use 4x medium bottle tubes and wide bandwidth transformers.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

So if I really wanted to do anything remotely heavy I should probably round up a bunch of amps that can handle that and then decide from there? My biggest issues is that I don't know just how much of the "heavy" I will need in the future. Right now I plan on playing at most a Pierce the Veil/Envy on the Coast heavy tone which isn't all that heavy compared to true metal bands, but somewhere down the road I don't know. I think I might just buy a tremoverb and if I need a cleaner amp I will purchase that somewhere down the line...
Quote by njm0830
I think I might just buy a tremoverb and if I need a cleaner amp I will purchase that somewhere down the line...

what's wrong with the Tremoverb's cleans? I suspect that it will be the beginning of a long friendship if you get one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by njm0830
So if I really wanted to do anything remotely heavy I should probably round up a bunch of amps that can handle that and then decide from there? My biggest issues is that I don't know just how much of the "heavy" I will need in the future. Right now I plan on playing at most a Pierce the Veil/Envy on the Coast heavy tone which isn't all that heavy compared to true metal bands, but somewhere down the road I don't know. I think I might just buy a tremoverb and if I need a cleaner amp I will purchase that somewhere down the line...

If you haven't tried a tremoverb, they actually have really good cleans. That's one of their strong suits.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Alright I think I might go for the tremoverb then. Where did you find it for $600? If they're that cheap because of cosmetic damage then I don't really care because it's about the tone not the look
Quote by njm0830
Alright I think I might go for the tremoverb then. Where did you find it for $600? If they're that cheap because of cosmetic damage then I don't really care because it's about the tone not the look

I've never seen one for $600. They seem to cost about $900 for the head around here.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

105853189 GUITAR AMP
USED BOOGIE RECT-O-VERB 1X12 50W COMBO W/FTSW (7)
Details »
Amps
Guitar Center Houston
Houston, Texas 77063
713-952-9070
View Store's Used Inventory
Request More Info
Buy Now
Now Only
$599.99
COMBO AMPS | GUITAR AMP
Jumping on dat gear sig train.