I want to invest in a modern turntable and start buying vinyls but I don't really know where to start. Here are a few of my questions. If any of you can help me out it would be greatly appreciated:

1. What is the difference between a low quality and high quality turntable? Some are way more expensive and minus features, what makes one better than the other? Do they actually sound any different?

2. What are some good brands for a modern turntable? I'm looking to spend between $75-150.

3. I have a decent stereo that has the amp in the middle, and has speakers connected by a little speaker wire on each side. The amp has a spot for an RCA cable in the front. Do I need anything special to hook it up to my stereo?

4. Is it okay to hook the turntable to my amp? Or does it need to directly go to a set of speakers?

5. What is all this phono and line level stuff? I have no idea about any of that.

Thanks!
1. High quality tables will be sturdier, reduce standing waves caused by needle vibrations, provide "cleaner" tone etc etc etc.

2.Pro-Ject is the only one I'd even consider looking at for your budget, and that'll probably be second hand.

3. RCA phono cables does not mean you can use a deck with it. You need to check whether the amp has an actual phono amp inside- this answers questions 3,4 and 5. The signal from a deck is tiny and needs to be EQ'd. A phono stage boosts this signal and puts it through what is called RIAA equalisation in order to produce the correct playback. Not all amps have a phono stage, some decks have inbuilt ones. Either way,you will require one.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pffffft. I had the pleasure of using a Roksan Xerxes recently. THAT is a record deck.

Nice! but still nothing beats a Sondek.
Quote by So-Cal
Nice! but still nothing beats a Sondek.

I disagree entirely. The Sondek LP12 is nowhere near the same league as the Xerxes, Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S or the Pro-Ject Xtension. The lower Linn stuff is alright, but nothing spectacular in the slightest.
Those turntables are a lot more expensive. You can pick up a second hand Linn for about £400.
Quote by CaptDin
Just buy one at a garage sale. You're over-thinking it.

I have a big cd collection and I'd like to start a vinyl collection too... Vinyl supposedly sound better because of the analog recording so I decided to buy a turntable. I just want a good one and to know everything I need for it to work right.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
1. High quality tables will be sturdier, reduce standing waves caused by needle vibrations, provide "cleaner" tone etc etc etc.

2.Pro-Ject is the only one I'd even consider looking at for your budget, and that'll probably be second hand.

3. RCA phono cables does not mean you can use a deck with it. You need to check whether the amp has an actual phono amp inside- this answers questions 3,4 and 5. The signal from a deck is tiny and needs to be EQ'd. A phono stage boosts this signal and puts it through what is called RIAA equalisation in order to produce the correct playback. Not all amps have a phono stage, some decks have inbuilt ones. Either way,you will require one.

How does that even work? Standing waves are to do with certain frequencies becoming louder in rooms due to the room acoustics or the length between walls and such.
I have an ancient GE turntable that is a piece of crap. I got it for free and it plays records though!

I'm afraid I won't be any help at all.
Quote by Zoot Allures
How does that even work? Standing waves are to do with certain frequencies becoming louder in rooms due to the room acoustics or the length between walls and such.

It's to do with the tonearm- they're often hollow. Tonearm design decreases standing waves associated with the tonearm.
why don't you help me find a turn table...

see what i did there?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Time to necro-bump!

Can someone suggest me some turntables between 50-70?

Honestly, no. But a Stanton T-62 is pretty cheap and should serve you nicely.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.