For music, we've got to find some songs that as a full band version, are really happy and upbeat but when you strip it down to acoustic, they become depressing. The point is to demonstrate how our instruments can change the mood of a song. I can only think of one and that is Hey Ya by OutKast.

Original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wl6R8u6Zus
Acoustic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

Very different.
The Last Fight by Bullet for my Valentine.

piano version is depressing
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by leg end
For music, we've got to find some songs that as a full band version, are really happy and upbeat but when you strip it down to acoustic, they become depressing. The point is to demonstrate how our instruments can change the mood of a song. I can only think of one and that is Hey Ya by OutKast.

Original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wl6R8u6Zus
Acoustic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

Very different.

Someones been watching Scrubs?
Dumb song but wonderwall - oasis. I think. Check the jools holland 2000 version compared to the acoustic ones. Big change.
Happy by mudvayne.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Cannibal Corpse - Frantic Disembowelment, it's so emotive
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
That song wouldn't be all sad, just that guy sings it in a depressing way. You could do the same with any song
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Umm, Everlong?

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by lespaul1216
The Last Fight by Bullet for my Valentine.

piano version is depressing

Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
What about Don Mclean's Vincent, up against NOFX's cover (Which I can't stand, by the way), for example. Or sticking with Mclean, listen to American Pie, and then listen to Madonna's cover.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
I disagree. It depends on the situation of the performance.

"Hey Ya" is my favorite song. I've performed it a couple times for an audience. Its just a great song. Except when I do it, I specify the "hip-hop" aspect of it. Often by pretending to be a gangster and not being as "vocal" when I sing it.

I usually get laughter and sing-alongs.
Quote by Carl6661
What about Don Mclean's Vincent, up against NOFX's cover (Which I can't stand, by the way), for example. Or sticking with Mclean, listen to American Pie, and then listen to Madonna's cover.

McLean's version is obviously amazing. Madonna's... Not so haha but good suggestion thanks
Quote by JacobTheMe
I disagree. It depends on the situation of the performance.

"Hey Ya" is my favorite song. I've performed it a couple times for an audience. Its just a great song. Except when I do it, I specify the "hip-hop" aspect of it. Often by pretending to be a gangster and not being as "vocal" when I sing it.

I usually get laughter and sing-alongs.

Cool. Have you got any videos of you doing it? It's weird, I wouldn't of thought the lyrics to be so deep... I guess you can do anything with a song.
Not sure about this one but you can let me know what you think

Everlong by Foo Fighters.

Sometimes when they play it live they do most of the song acoustically and it just is depressing.
I hail from Arizona, USA. Call me a tuskan raider (star wars)

I LOVE YOU

Yes, as you have guessed, unless it was related to bacon, the above post was probably foolish and immature. I'm sorry.
Quote by Mr. Smith
Not sure about this one but you can let me know what you think

Everlong by Foo Fighters.

Sometimes when they play it live they do most of the song acoustically and it just is depressing.

Yes, it's an amazing song when played acoustically!
kthxbai.
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
Yes, it's an amazing song when played acoustically!

Yeah I agree but I prefer the faster version
I hail from Arizona, USA. Call me a tuskan raider (star wars)

I LOVE YOU

Yes, as you have guessed, unless it was related to bacon, the above post was probably foolish and immature. I'm sorry.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

why specifically in response to my post? The title of the damn thread contains the world 'depressing'
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by gatechballer
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

I'll have to try this.

Also, it doesn't quite follow the formula, but "Electric Feel" by MGMT sounds a hell of a lot more haunting (to me, at least) on acoustic.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by leg end
Cool. Have you got any videos of you doing it? It's weird, I wouldn't of thought the lyrics to be so deep... I guess you can do anything with a song.

You underestimate the awesome that is Outkast.

EDIT:
Quote by lushacrous
I'll have to try this.

Also, it doesn't quite follow the formula, but "Electric Feel" by MGMT sounds a hell of a lot more haunting (to me, at least) on acoustic.

I've noticed the same thing. I think it's the lack of the bassline and the keyboard riff.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jun 15, 2010,
I assume that playing Footprints by Warning will force you into suicide if played acoustically.
Gus Black doing a cover of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLmXyi5LP-g

EDIT: It may not be a "happy" song but it has more energy in the original. This just brings it to it's pit.

extra crEDIT: Also Damhnait Doyle doing Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvGSSsVdos
Last edited by cyco_bob56 at Jun 15, 2010,
Clapton- Layla
Quote by Julz127
I don't actually use toilet paper, I use sweet chili sauce and sandpaper, cause I'm a man.
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Such Great Heights.

The original from the Postal Service and Streetlight Manifesto's cover are both pretty upbeat and happy, but when Iron and Wine does it it's a lot sadder.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.