Hi all!
I've got the Reaper software and now I'm considering one of the 2 interfaces above. Which one would work better?
I need to plug in guitar and its stomp boxes and a keyboard.
Using Windows 7.

Thanks (again).
Do you mean a MIDI keyboard? If so, then don't go with the UX2, it doesn't have midi inputs. I don't know about the M-Audio interface though.

I use the UX2 in reaper and it works like a charm. Never failed me.
the fast track pro has midi capability if you are looking for that route for keyboards.
the ux2 has two line inputs if you are looking for that route for keyboards.

both have instrument inputs and mic inputs, so that will work for guitar.

deciding on those two interfaces is as simple as deciding if you want to use midi or line outputs for your keyboard.
The Fast Track Pro has two line ins as well Jof, although it might not be immediately obvious as they are built into the same input as the two XLRs.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
^ ah, seems they are swichable to line. i thought they were only instrument inputs, since thats what the label says. second look shows a button to switch them. good call, and im an idiot
THanks guys, I think I'll go with M-audio!
Last edited by loopyloop at Jun 16, 2010,
Yeah go with M-Audio for the build and reliability or go with Line 6 for Pod Farm and the variety of tone capabilities.
Guitar tones? I don't think so. I personally despise REAPER; have only used it a couple of times so I'm really not sure about that. There are obviously plug-ins that you can download and / or buy that will be compatible with REAPER (or any major DAW program really!) but I don't think the program actually comes with any, and even if it does, I can't image they'd be any good.
Quote by loopyloop
So the POd farm will work with Reaper as main recording software?

Only if you buy the UX2. You can't use Pod Farm with an M-audio interface.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Yes, I understand that... does the M-audio interface include similar guitar tones of its own?
No - The M-Audio has no guitar modeling software - I've owned both a FastTrack and a Pod Studio GX 1 and the Line 6 is by far a better interface and the Pod Farm Software is a blast to play with.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by jof1029

deciding on those two interfaces is as simple as deciding if you want to use midi or line outputs for your keyboard.

Forgot to ask: what's the diffrence between using line-in and MIDI for keyboard (my synth is not connected to any other instrument via midi)?
Midi is just data, line in signal is the actual sound.

For example midi has to trigger something else to play any sound, you hook up a midi track to a synthesiser in the sequencer for example.

Fundamentally midi is just data telling the computer to play a certain note at a certain time with a certain velocity. It's not actually a sound in itself.

Line level is the actual sound coming from the keyboard.

This is the simplest I can explain it, I hope this makes sense.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
THank you, it makes a lot of sense! I don't see how data could ever better the quality of the sound itself....
^ actually, MIDI can get you a better quality sound depending on a few things. if you have a keyboard with crappy samples but nice keys, the MIDI data can be used to trigger nicer samples.

or lets say you have some really nice VST instruments. using a MIDI keyboard to control them will probably sound a ton better than the stuff keyboards come with. or your VSTi's can be tweakable or whatever, and they built in samples arent as much.

you can also run the MIDI through multiple instruments. so you try one and dont like it, you just replace the VSTi and try again. recording line out means you have to do another take.

but if you have a really nice keyboard, midi probably isnt going to be the best idea. you want those awesome sounds your keyboard makes. it really just depends on what you are doing overall.
[quote="jof1029
but if you have a really nice keyboard, midi probably isnt going to be the best idea. you want those awesome sounds your keyboard makes. it really just depends on what you are doing overall.[/QUOTE"]

Indeed... I have a Korg Triton.