The drummer in my band just broke his hand, snapped a bone. How likely is it that he'll be able to play a gig in 2 and a half weeks? He says he'll play it, but i'm thinking if it hadn't recovered properly yet it would make it worse?
2 weeks? Forget it.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
^didnt he rock a custom kit with lots of pedals to take care of all the handy work he couldnt do?

i like your username.

and no its probably not gonna happen. sorry.
well, it could if he really really wanted it to, but then hell be out for a lot longer or develop some real bad long term hand issues.
Last edited by GoodnightHero at Jun 15, 2010,
The Chick from Autolux broke her wrist in like 2002 and couldnt drum for like 2 years. So he is probably ****ed as wel.
tell your drummer to stop jerking off so much.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by GoodnightHero

well, it could if he really really wanted it to, but then hell be out for a lot longer or develop some real bad long term hand issues.

Exactly. And its pretty bad i think.
Quote by GoodnightHero
^didnt he rock a custom kit with lots of pedals to take care of all the handy work he couldnt do?

i like your username.

and no its probably not gonna happen. sorry.

I'm not sure...either way, I'm a drummer and it CAN be done. You'll have to dumb down the songs though, otherwise there's no chance.
Depends if its his leading rhythm hand or not, what bone it is, and how intense his drum parts are. I mean, I've known drummers to play with broken ankles, snapped wrists, elbows in casts and (as justaramsfan said) with one arm. If you strap it up tight, give it some padding and ease up on the amount he uses it, it will only delay the healing time by a little bit if its just the one gig. Just don't over use it this early on or it wont set right, ever.
Quote by SG_dave
If he binds it up tight he might be able to play normally depends on the severity of the break and the pain.

I agree with this.
Not sure which hand or bone, but the song are pretty simple and he doesn't hit the drums that hard normally anyway.
And we have another gig the week after, then after that we dont have any more for ages.
Quote by Music=Life.
Not sure which hand or bone, but the song are pretty simple and he doesn't hit the drums that hard normally anyway.
And we have another gig the week after, then after that we dont have any more for ages.

He may have already planned on one-handing it, and that may be why he said he'd be able to play
We're going to have to take the hand.

Maybe they sell prosthetic drumsticks?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
how bad is the break?
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Tell him use his dick as a stick..

Serious answer: Try binding it tightly, and have a practice session together. If he can manage it with one hand, go for it. If he can't, cancel the gig or get a friend to play instead of him, if he's ok with it.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Go for the one-hander. The drummer in my old band got his arm crushed at work and he threw it in a sling and played one handed. If he does decide to go ahead with it, let the crowd know he's playing one handed. That way if he sucks he has an excuse, and if he sounds good people will be blown away.
I would rather be a good liver than have one
I dunno, I broke my arm once and was fine afte like, 2 and a half weeks, and I broke both bones, It might be because im a fast healer, but still, just see how he feels, or just get a stand in drummer for the one show.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
In my opinion, he'll be fine. I mean, it depends on how good of care he takes of it in between. He'd need to make sure it was wrapped well and everything. But I have friends who sprain ankles and are only out of their sports for a couple weeks. I think a broken bone in the hand should heal. Problem is, he wont be able to practice before hand. Consider an acoustic set? Idk what kind of band yours is, but thats always an option if youre the kind of band that could.
playing one handed after practicing two handed for so long could bring in something artistically

a thinness to the sound

I unno
He can do it if he practices hard enough. Rick Allen plays with one arm, and I saw a video a few years ago of Travis Barker playing with a broken hand.
Good luck with the gig TS.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
He just told me he was couldnt resist playing today, both handed. And he only broke it two days ago. He says it didnt hurt or anything but ive made him promise to rest it for a few days.

EDIT: Thanks everyone (:
Last edited by Music=Life. at Jun 16, 2010,