just go ahead and tell me how you write the songs that you have written.

from before they are a thought all the way to the time they are completely finished.

if you have never completed a song, just tell me how far you have got.

or if you have never created anything at all, just tell me how you practice
its pretty simple, i come up with a riff i like on an instrument and eventually add more to it, either by writing it specifically for whats already been written or by throwing in some other riffs i have that sound good with it. fill in the empty spaces with appropriate instruments, arrange and record.
I call my drummer over, and I play random things until I do something that we both agree is a riff. Then we develop it, write a bassline, make a vocal melody and a chord progression, and he makes the drum beats on his own but if the band doesn't approve of them he'll change it.
Honestly, I would say I take a lot more influence from watching random people on youtube filming themselves playing either improvised pieces, or originals of their own. Usually the former. I just think what style I'm going for, type in [genre] guitar riffs and kick back watching the videos. Dunno why it helps me so much, I don't rip them off at all. Just gives me more inspiration than listening to my favourite bands. I do that if I'm really stuck for lyrical ideas.
Roll a pair of dice several times and structure a riff on the frets of what I just rolled. Or sometimes I ask a few people their birthdays and write based on that.

John Cage did it
Last edited by pwrmax at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by pwrmax
Roll a pair of dice several times and structure a riff on the frets of what I just rolled. Or sometimes I ask a few people their birthdays and write based on that.

John Cage did it

interesting
Here's how I usually go about things...

Step #1: Think about writing a song.

Step #2: Start doing something else and never finish the song.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Writing a riff it usually either comes to me or I try and imitate a style/song/band I like. I usually like to stay in key so that helps me sort of craft the rest of the song. The verses can usually be a variation on the melody and chords of the main riff sort of thing, either that or just something completely different or the intro riff repeated. I may throw in a pre chorus if i want something to show a change but mostly i go straight into it. And the chorus is usually slower than the rest of it 'cause I suppose the the chorus is the "point" of the song. It tends to be sustained chords with unusual voicings, and i usually put the most emotion into that part of the music, unless i have a specific idea for a song that is. Afterwards i usually repeat parts until i get to part where i think i should have a bridge, or if i feel it a bloody long outro with a solo of some sort, but if i do have a bridge i usually have a solo afterwards and a final chorus with an outro which is normally a variation on the chords used throughout. As for an intro i usually play an acoustic arrangement of the riff i come up with first. If i feel the need I'll throw in a mosh riff or breakdown just for the c*ck of it.