Okay guys. I just received shipping confirmation on my neck blank so I'll start the thread now and I'll add as I go.

THE PLAN!

5 Piece Maple/Mahogany Neck-Through Construction
25.5" scale
Alder body wings
Soloist(ish shape) black finish
Jet black ebony fretboard 10"-14.5" radius -thank you stew-mac (custom inlaid with gold XJ frets)
Gold locking tuners
Gotoh Wilkinson Vibrato. (gold)
HSH Configuration
5 way standard switch
1 volume control
1 tone control

EDIT!! I always forget to mention... this will be a lefty. =]

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Aug 14, 2010,
I have no helpful information, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

You say you want an HSH setup, have you thought about adding coil taps so you can have the HSH plus SSS?
I have thought about it actually; I'm still not 100% sure yet, but the easiest way to do that (and maybe the only way?) is to use a push/pull pot for each pickup, and I really like the simplicity of 1 volume control but if someone could clarify: if I used two tone controls (one for each pickup) could I coil split them using those push-pull pots while still keeping my single volume knob idea?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by bj_squeelie
I have thought about it actually; I'm still not 100% sure yet, but the easiest way to do that (and maybe the only way?) is to use a push/pull pot for each pickup, and I really like the simplicity of 1 volume control but if someone could clarify: if I used two tone controls (one for each pickup) could I coil split them using those push-pull pots while still keeping my single volume knob idea?

What in tarnation is you talking about, boy?

You can use one push/pull pot as a volume or tone knob for both pickups, there's no need for extra controls, just a different type of pot.

Also, that 1/8" slot is going to be way too small for your floyd nut.
Quote by Schism1985
What in tarnation is you talking about, boy?

You can use one push/pull pot as a volume or tone knob for both pickups, there's no need for extra controls, just a different type of pot.

Also, that 1/8" slot is going to be way too small for your floyd nut.

Sooo. I can use the volume knob as the push/pull pot for say my bridge pickup and the tone push/pull pot for my neck pickup? Or do you mean use one push-pull pot for both pickups? Sorry electronics is not my strong suit.

As for the floyd nut, I figured as much. Any suggestions for this? or should I be looking for a new fretboard.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by bj_squeelie
Sooo. I can use the volume knob as the push/pull pot for say my bridge pickup and the tone push/pull pot for my neck pickup? Or do you mean use one push-pull pot for both pickups? Sorry electronics is not my strong suit.

As for the floyd nut, I figured as much. Any suggestions for this? or should I be looking for a new fretboard.

You can use one push pull pot to coil split both pickups

I'm not sure about actually modifying the existing cavity to make room for the floyd nut, so wait for someone else to comment on that. However, if you do choice to abandon your current neck, it's not as simple as swapping out one fretboard for another. You'd have to actually purchase an entirely new neck that's routed for the floyd nut.

With that said, I'm not sure how well you could stay in tune without a locking nut, but you could try to compensate for the lack of said locking nut by:

1- Upgrading your current nut to a graph tech or other "special material" nut (graph tech, for example, uses some combination of teflon and other stuff to ensure better tuning stability).
Price: about $30

2- Purchasing locking tuners. These are probably going to be your best bet. Check out Sperzels, Schallers and so on.
Price: Around $80

3- Purchasing a tremol-no system. This will only keep you in tune when you're NOT using the bridge for dives.
Price: About $50

4- Purchasing graph tech saddles for your floyd. Think of the saddles as like the guitar's "other" nut.
Price: About $60
the neck can be routed in any way it needs to be, as its just a piece of wood right now (well technically 5 pieces of wood glued together but you know what I mean) and I was just going to mount the stew-mac fretboard onto it once I got it shaped but it looks like I just need to find another source for a fretboard that I can use with the floyd nut. (Unless I am completely confused on where the floyd nut sits on the fretboard/neck)
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
For the locking nut, you might just be able to widen the hole for the nut with a router, not sure though as i havent done it before.
For the coil tap, you CAN do it with one push pull pot, but it will you will have a choice of HSH or SSS. With a coil tap for each, you can have HSH, HSS, SSH or SSS. The push-pull pot is just a normal pot with a switch attatched, having a push-pull volume pot will still be a volume pot, but when you pull it up you will have a volume pot for coil-tapped pups.
Yea I think I will do 1 coil tap for both pups as I don't think ill be needing THAT many combinations.

But yea I figured out how to route the nut shelf for the locking nut so I think I'm set there, hopefully the neck blank comes today.

My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
If your buying a fretboard, and not a neck, the nut is a really easy fix. I'm assuming the stewmac fb has a notch for the nut to sit on. Cut it off. Glue the fretboard to the neck so you have the proper room for the nut. Install nut. Done.

Shaping-Rasp and spokeshave are tried and true, and work great for shaping, but it will take some time. I suggest you spend a few bucks and buy a digital caliper. Makes checking each section a breeze. I personally use a angle grinder to rough shape the neck then file it to size.

Truss- Just drop it in. Dont let any glue get in the slot either. Most people just put a strip of taper over it then glue on the FB. When you tighten it, the square portion of the rod is pushed together, forcing it to bow upwards.

Lastly, measure 3 times, check your tools/ jigs constantly. You have no idea how many times a tool or jig has slightly moved while using it, because i never double checked it.
Also, your only as good as your worst tool. Shitty jigs and cheap tools will only get you so far. Use the good stuff, dont cheap out. (to much at least)
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by bj_squeelie
Yea I think I will do 1 coil tap for both pups as I don't think ill be needing THAT many combinations.

Its not that many - it just gives you control over each individual pickup. With one coil tap, you either have both coil tapped or neither. But then again, if you're doing a standard 5 way switch you won't use those two together anyway.
Bear in mind that push/pulls arent the only way to split a bucker - many stock HSS or HSH guitars have a 5 way system that allows 1)bridge bucker 2) split bucker in parallel with mid 3) mid 4)mid in parallel with split neck 5)neck bucker.
This means you dont have to be messing with all the pots.
@ Metal Warrior

Thanks a lot, I'm using some halfway decent spokeshaves i think (stanley) and the rasps I really can't say much about as they are my dads.

About the truss rod what do you mean a thin layer of taper? I'm confused I thought taper meant "gradually decreasing" or something to that effect hah. Also is it just 1 straight channel I need to route and if I'm using an 18" truss rod should the channel be exactly 18"? Thanks!

*EDIT* Did you mean tape, not taper? Lol

@ Minnis
Yea I don't mind the different combinations so much its the actual knobs that I don't want, I want to be able to complete cut the volume using 1 knob even if I'm using both my humbuckers, but I will be looking into that wiring scheme of coil splitting, but that's a ways down the road I'm afraid.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jun 17, 2010,
Update! The neck blank came in today! Its Maple-Mahogany-Maple-Mahogany. The back of it was pretty shotty so I went ahead and sanded that to thickness already. I'm going to go pick up some MDF to use for templates right now. The truss rod is on the way, so I'll get the cavity routed as soon as it gets here. Then I can start shaping the neck!

My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Got the wings for the headstock glued on today. Also cut my neck/ fretboard template out. I'll shape the headstock tomorrow hopefully.

Pics!

My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Updates! I got the truss rod cavity routed, the headstock cut and the neck partially tapered and shaped, the fretboard arrived yesterday and im going to glue the alder sides on today I think!

Pics!

My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Lots of updates! Ill let the pics do the talking.

My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by mynameisdrakex
Are you a lefty?

Read the first post..
Yes, I am a lefty.

Unfortunately this build is gonna have to be put on hold for a couple of months. I just moved to college and I wasn't able to get all of the routing done because I couldn't find the correct bit. No room here for all the tools necessary so it had to stay at home..

Breaks my heart.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator