Hi. This is pretty much my first post here on UG, while i've been registered for a while, I was just kind of a lurker for a while.

Anyways, here's a song i've been working on. I'm pretty new to this, and I'm aware that it's nothing special. My problem is that I just don't know where to go from where I'm at. I got an intro/verse riff and maybe a chorus, but I'm trying my best to keep it from getting stale or boring. While conventional song structure would dictate that I would repeat the verse after the chorus, it just seems too boring and repetitive when I play it through.

I'd love some advice on my piece, along with some songwriting tips that can help me out. Like I said, i'm pretty new to this. I've been playing guitar around a year and a half and this is one of my first songwriting endeavors.

I don't know if there's some mutual agreement as to how to upload Guitar Pro files on here, so here's a .zip file with a GP5 and a GP4 file. If there's a default way to do it i'll fix it.

Or, y'know, you guys could completely ignore this thread. Bumping being against the rules really helps me out, too.
P.S. It'll probably sound better with RSE default settings, but I dunno, as I haven't listened to the plain MIDI version.
Attachments:
LightSong.gp5
LightSong.gp4
no.
Last edited by Zeraninator at Jun 20, 2010,
My advice for what to do next in the song would be to use the pretty sounding chords at the end of what you have so far and have the same basic riff but use distortion or overdrive and make it more sticatto-ey. I don't know if you would like to have the song be heavy or soft and how prog or straight-to-the-point you would like it so I don't have a very helpful opinion I'm sure. But it is a pretty good sounding song. My only hang-up is how similar all of the riffs sound.