Hey all. I just had a really strange problem with my amp. For some reason, it won't switch to the clean channel, although the distortion channel works just fine. I'm playing out of a 60 watt Crate Blue Voodoo halfstack. For those unfamiliar with it, it's an all tube amp with only 2 channels, clean and distortion. Anyway, I've had it set on the distortion channel for months without using the clean, and when I pushed the channel selector button today, absolutely nothing happened. I pushed it a few more times and finally it switched over to the clean channel for about 3 seconds and then switched back to the distortion channel. I unplugged my effects and went straight from my guitar to amp and had the same results. I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me on diagnosing what's going on. Thanks in advance for your help.
Have you opened it up and checked the wiring to the switch?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I haven't taken the back off to look because I don't think I could tell if there was a problem with the switch. This is my first venture into amp workings.

I tried it again just now to see if it was just a one time thing, and this time I was able to switch from distortion to clean (after 3 or 4 pushes), but there was a loud pop, and I got no noise out of the amp at all. Then it started to fade back & forth between the two channels before finally switching to distortion
Just check to make sure no wires are hanging out, and that all the connections to the switch are solid.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I got the back off, but I can't see the switch at all. There's a long metal box on the bottom of the amp that seems to hold all the circuitry, but I can't manage to get the back off of that.
(Invalid img)
Attachments:
IMG_0153.JPG
Last edited by Dimeborg at Jun 15, 2010,
What kind of switch is it? A plastic push-on/push-off switch? If so, it may be a physical problem with the spring mechanism.
Yes, it's a plastic push on/off switch. You push it in for distortion and push it again and it pops out for clean. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the actually movement of the switch though, it's not getting stuck or anything.
First of all, this switch isn't what does the channel switching exactly. It sounds like the LDR in your amp is out. The LDR is controlled by the switch and changes from one channel to the other.

You will really need to have the amp opened up and on to test this, which I don't recommend if you've never worked on them before. The reason it needs to be on is that you need to determine if the resistance on the LDR changes as you press the switch.

I have to go to work for the next 10 hours but when I get back i'll be glad to help you if you still need help. Hopefully SYK or someone else will be on while I am gone and can help you.
Thanks a lot for the help. Yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to amps, and I like this one a little too much to make it my guinea pig. I tried to open it up a little bit, but I couldn't get past the metal box inside the head and I didn't want to break it trying. I guess I'll just take it up to the local shop tomorrow and see if I can afford to get it fixed. If not, I might take you up on that offer for help.

Thank you all very much for your help. You guys rock!
Quote by Dimeborg
Thanks a lot for the help. Yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to amps, and I like this one a little too much to make it my guinea pig. I tried to open it up a little bit, but I couldn't get past the metal box inside the head and I didn't want to break it trying. I guess I'll just take it up to the local shop tomorrow and see if I can afford to get it fixed. If not, I might take you up on that offer for help.

Thank you all very much for your help. You guys rock!

i wouldn't suggest poking around in an amp with it on unless you have some experience. there are some seriously high voltages in there.