I'm new to bass and i'd quite like to accumulate a small pedal board in order to give my sound a bit more spice....
no real budget at the moment just avoid going above £200

and also demo videos would be nice
Last edited by AICfreak at Jun 15, 2010,
BOSS fuzz pedals man. around 100.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
yeah fuzz, boss is good, i prefer MXR though
a tuner pedal is always nice
chorus and wah perhaps?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I would probably go with a Multi-effects pedal of some kind. That way you get a wide varierty of things to play with, and you can see what you use, what you don't. In the future when you know what you want you can get the single pedal equivilents.

That's what I would do, especially when you really don't know what you want or need.
Quote by Captain Insano
I would probably go with a Multi-effects pedal of some kind. That way you get a wide varierty of things to play with, and you can see what you use, what you don't. In the future when you know what you want you can get the single pedal equivilents.

That's what I would do, especially when you really don't know what you want or need.

Normally i'm not a fan of multi-effects pedals, however this sounds like a good idea in your case. In my opinion this is one of your best options.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
i have an electro harmonix big muff (for the 6 string) and a regular cry baby, will that be adequate for bass playing or will i need something different?
Bass Big Muff Pi, and maybe a compressor.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I think everyone needs a little bit of dirt. And by dirt I mean fuzz, overdrive or distortion.

Personally, I use the bass big muff pi for my fuzz and I think it's the best introductory fuzz pedal since it sounds amazing and it's very affordable. It is the first pedal I ever got

For overdrive, most people seem to agree that the bad monkey or the badder bass monkey by humphrey is the best for its price range. I haven't tried either myself though.

I don't use distortion myself, so i can't say a lot about that. Although, I've heard a lot of good things about this pedal: http://www.pennypedals.com/index.php?page=DS-1-Bass-Mod , which can do both overdrive and distortion.

Or you can go a completely different way and get a multi effects pedals. You really have too many choices to put down here and you're gonna get a lot of different opinions about what you should get. So just look around at sound samples of pedals on youtube or whatever and decide which one you like. I went with the bass big muff pi and I haven't regretted it yet, still have a lot of different uses for it.
You might try going to a store and playing around with what they have, and seeing if you like their stuff. That way, you're not spending money, and you're building a base for knowledge of what you want.
Don't start by buying BOSS pedals if you can afford better. Look at electroharmonix pedals. For a fuzz, look at the Wounded Paw Attack Goat Bass Fuzz.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Nothing is going to get you that tone. It's a combination of bi amping, jazz basses, Ampeg and being Tim Commerford that will work, though. You could get close though by playing by the bridge, boosting high mids, rolling back the treble a little bit, boosting lows a tad and digging in hard. And I mean hard, as if it's slept with half your family and owes you thousands of dollars.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Captain Insano

I would agree with this but do not go out and buy a top model multi-effects pedal. I asked for a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live for Christmas once, and now all I use is distortion, fuzz and wah. Apart from that the thing is a waste of money, but I don't really want to sell it, being a gift and all that.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Maybe a compression? That can add some nice punch to your tone.
Distortion maybe?

I suggest going to the store and trying out stuff and seeing what you like and want.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists