hey ug i need advice on how to pick a half stack i play metal and i want to be loud i just need advice because i dont want to buy a piece of crap and have to buy a new one ive never had a amp bigger than 30 w and it sucked i dont need many effects i gots my pedal
First of all, why is it no one on the the internet knows how to use punctuation?

Second, get a nice combo instead, you REALLY don't need a stack unless you're playing HUGE gigs.
ahh, so close and yet so far to a rivera knucklehead tre...
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
What type of metal?
Any particular tones from certain bands or songs that you would like to aim at?
You really need to give more information if you expect someone to actually help you.
Also you don't need a half stack.
You should really do a little bit of research before posting a thread like this.
The more information the better.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
well i listen to metallica system of a down and 3 inches of blood alot but i switch to clean with reverb well i just need something really loud im going to start playing bars really really soon
Last edited by l.a.ibanez123 at Jun 15, 2010,
That was super helpful.

Super.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
It wouldnt hurt to use punctuation.
because it would appear to me that there is ZERO PUNCTUATION!
hah.
Quote by phlip999
First of all, why is it no one on the the internet knows how to use punctuation?

You sir get a lolstack. And a sig post
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by FuzzLove
That was super helpful.

Super.

uh ts asked how to pick a halfstack.
i helped him.
whatchuwhatchuwhatchuwant?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I was talking to TS, not you
I've ran out of threads to reply to now.
WHAT WILL I DO?!?!?!!??!??!?!!??!
Quote by AcousticMirror
Peavey Wiggly I choose you!

How to choose an amp? Trudge around to every shop you can get to (preferrably with your own guitar) and try the ones that are in your budget. Also try everything thats almost twice as much money as you have so you can then look for those used. Once you've narrowed it down to a few then make a thread (if a search reveals nothing) asking for any known problems with those amps.
Don't trust opinions on amps with the possible exceptions of answers to questions like "I want SRV's tone." It's so objective so opinions should be taken with a grain of salt - trust your ears. Forums like this are best for finding inherent faults in amps and discovering otherwise unknown options, not for deciding what your tastes are.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by espplayer400
ahh, so close and yet so far to a rivera knucklehead tre...

lols 1150,,

EDIT: ^ It's the Wiggy,, do they even make those anymore? I think Dweezil is using something else now.
Last edited by rokket2005 at Jun 15, 2010,
First, did you read the #@*$ing sticky? Because if you had you would have included much better information in your post. And you would also know that you do not need a half stack to play in a bar. Play a 50w tube combo and tell me its not loud enough to play in a bar.

Also punctuation makes us a lot happier if you want some help.
He has $2000 and wants a halfstack, so?
It's not the same as someone wanting a br00tlz stack for $200, he can get something good.

TS, I would look for a used Splawn Nitro or Quickrod (Ebay is your friend) and get a good 2x12 cab (Avatar, Lopo, Orange, Splawn, Vader, Mesa, Mills)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by AcousticMirror
****ing ****er I choose YOU!

This.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by classicrocker01
He has $2000 and wants a halfstack, so?
It's not the same as someone wanting a br00tlz stack for $200, he can get something good.

I agree, if he truly wants a half stack he should get it.
It just sounded like he was saying he needed a half stack to be loud enough to play bars. If thats all, then take the savings and buy a new guitar/other piece of equipment as well.
I went the 2x12 route and i can safely say that i am not satisfied with the projection. Its really a bitch when you have to crank your highs because the speakers are pointed at your feet and all you hear is the off-axis part of the speaker. It also sucks if you are playing with someone with a 4x12 because they will always overpower you. The time spent on stage when you are mic'd is minute compared when you will be practicing on your own or with others, and thats when a 4x12 would be more effective.
I agree a 4x12 has advantages but it doesn't mean everyone should have one. Plus they are a pain to lug around. You make a good point about the off axis sound. They do make stands to angle them so you don't have that problem but then you do loose bass response.

Quote by Chaosinborn
It also sucks if you are playing with someone with a 4x12 because they will always overpower you.

I have to say, I do disagree with this though. It all depends on the particular amp and speakers. Not even taking wattage into account. Also I feel like some bands get into a "lets see how loud I can possibly play" mentality. If you've got a decently powered 2x12, it shouldn't always be a problem.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Jun 16, 2010,
I always thought it was kinda dumb to ring a 4x12 to most gigs, usually there isn't much room and you gotta carry all this crap
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You know. I still don't get the whole issue with "lugging" around a 4x12 cab. Really, it's not like your moving it 50 times a day. They aren't THAT much heavier than a good combo. And others look at you like your a puss if you ask for help carrying your combo amp...no one has trouble helping the guy with the cab though.
After changing speakers in my Peavey cab, it now weighs an additional 16 pounds more than it did before, and I would NOT bring a 2x12 instead. Hell, if nothing else, they make a nice table to put your amp on without the sound pointing at your feet.
If a dude wants a 4x12, he should get one. They aren't THAT big of a deal to "lug" around...I do it all the time. Even if just to bring my rig to the music store to try new toys (pedals, guitars etc)

Now, back on topic. How to pick a Half Stack:
1) have in mind a tone you would like to resemble...not COPY, resemble.
2) research the bands that have something similar to what your looking for (NOTE, much music is recorded with many layers of guitars...getting that tone from one amp may not be possible)
3) Find out what amps can get you close and stay within your budget

Example: You want a Van Halen kind of tone. You can look at the new EVH 5150III, you could save some $$$ by going to either a new 6505, or if the budget is still tight, get a used Peavey 5150 or a new Bugera 6260.
Nice thing with a 1/2 stack, you can mix and match. Maybe you are close but just don't have the $$$ for a full Peavy 6505 1/2 stack. You can get the Bugera head, and the Peavey Cab.
Combos can be nice as well, and you shouldn't rule them out completely unless you just want the look of a 1/2 stack, But for many, a 1/2 stack just has a lot of advantages. Just make sure it has castors LOL!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by AcousticMirror
****ing ****er I choose YOU!

That and the angry channel

Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Relax Vinson, we are just discussing opinions here.

The OP said a 30w amp wasn't loud enough (did not indicate if it was SS or tube). To me it sounds like he wants to go into this bar with a 100w half stack and crank it, which may not produce the results I think he was expecting.
And as I said, if he really wants a half stack he should get one. 4x12's do have advantages. I just want to make sure he understands that it shouldn't get one just because he wants to be loud in a bar.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by FrenchBread
Relax Vinson, we are just discussing opinions here.

The OP said a 30w amp wasn't loud enough (did not indicate if it was SS or tube). To me it sounds like he wants to go into this bar with a 100w half stack and crank it, which may not produce the results I think he was expecting.
And as I said, if he really wants a half stack he should get one. 4x12's do have advantages. I just want to make sure he understands that it shouldn't get one just because he wants to be loud in a bar.

Sorry if I sounded harsh....I didn't mean to attack anyone or anything like that...text rarely gets across the proper emotion of the writer.

To clarify, I personally don't see an issue with carrying a cab vs. a combo. Sometimes it sounds like something barely tolerable by a human.

I agree that volume alone should NOT be a deciding factor...with the right speakers, a 2x12 can be louder than a 4x12 with the same power going to it. Proper projection is easier with a 4x12 cab though.

I didn't mean to single anyone out (the "lug" term is a common complaint against 4x12 cabs...NOT directed at you solely.)

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I always thought it was kinda dumb to ring a 4x12 to most gigs, usually there isn't much room and you gotta carry all this crap

That's another common argument. How much more room does a 4x12 and head take than a 2x12 combo? For most, in reality it's no different. The 4x12+head is just taller, and most don't put anything on top of their combos anyway

Again, not just picking on one person...just a repeated argument. To each his own.

Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Jun 16, 2010,
even though this is teh internets can we all just admit that 412s be teh heavies. do u lives in a world with no stairs? where can i go to handicap ramp land
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
4x12 be teh overrated. I would soooo much rather have 2x2x12

But this may just be me. two vertical 2x12 on both sides = secks
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by AcousticMirror
even though this is teh internets can we all just admit that 412s be teh heavies. do u lives in a world with no stairs? where can i go to handicap ramp land

We have stairs here. every weekend is open jam, but it's above the bar....plenty of stairs.
LUCKILY, I have the advantage of 2 working legs, and 2 working arms (I understand not all people do...but they wouldn't want to carry a combo either)
TS, here's my opinion on this.

If you're playing bars, you most certainly do NOT need a halfstack. It will be a bitch and a half to lug around just to small gigs, so keep that in mind. You could get a really nice 2x12 combo for your budget. I really don't think projectiong will be that much of a problem, since you could very easily tilt it back or put it up on a chair.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Again, many realllly nice amps only come in head form. I would again suggest a head (cough cough splawn cough cough) and a 2x12 cab. It will project sound just fine for gigs and is easier to carry that a combo IMO.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan