So, my band does metal, prog, alt, all kindsa stuff. At the risk of being flamed, I'm going to admit I have a Line 6 Spider III 15. I know about all the negative hype towards it. I don't like it either. It's decent when playing by myself, but when I turn it up to play over drums, yes, indeed, it blows.

I also have a Peavey Bandit 112 with Transtube. It's pretty good for clean, but sucks with distortion. I've had both amps since last Christmas. Here's what I want to do:

Sell both amps for as much as possible and buy a Marshal MG Creamstack:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAR-MGCREAMSTACK-LIST
I have googled prices and such. I just want to get an opinion from actual people.

What's the most I'm going to be able to save on the Creamstack ($549.99 usd)?
And this is a good idea? This amp looks really great, but lokos can be decieving.
Are Marshall halfstacks good for metal?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Are marshall halfstacks good for metal? Some are...this isn't one of them. It's not going to be an upgrade from your current setup at all.
Quote by Arterial
Not sure if serious...

I've never played Marshall before :/
Once upon a time, underneath a bridge, lived an old tr.........

Anyway, that amp isn't much better than the amps that you already have, it might look nicer, but it won't sound much nicer at all.

Some Marshalls can be good for metal though, yeah, that one isn't really good for anything though if you actually want a nice tone.

How much money will you have after you've sold your Spider and Bandit?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by eyebanez333
Are marshall halfstacks good for metal? Some are...this isn't one of them. It's not going to be an upgrade from your current setup at all.

Oh damn. I really don't know much about amps man.
If you (or anybody else who reads this) could reccommend a good 100 watt amp for playing metal, it would help alot! I'm not too worried about price.
Quote by FuzzLove
Once upon a time, underneath a bridge, lived an old tr.........

Anyway, that amp isn't much better than the amps that you already have, it might look nicer, but it won't sound much nicer at all.

Some Marshalls can be good for metal though, yeah, that one isn't really good for anything though if you actually want a nice tone.

How much money will you have after you've sold your Spider and Bandit?

From looking at various guitar store websites, it looks like they'll bring in about $300-400 usd. I wasn't sure though. Because mine are used, I didn't know if that makes a huge difference? They're stilll in good shape.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
With that budget you could stretch to a Peavey 6505 Combo

Even better, a Bugera 6262 combo
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Yeah, it makes a huge difference.
Look on eBay and Craigslist for the amps that you have and see how much people are selling them for, you can also check guitar store websites that have a used section, but remember, they re-sell them for quite abit more then they buy them used for.

After you've done this, add any other money that you may have from elsewhere to work out your total budget for a new amp.

Then do some research about amps and the kind of amps that suit the kind of music you play, the amps that people you want to sound like play, etc.

After that you can come back here with some more information and then ask if someone could help you finalize your decision.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yeah, it makes a huge difference.
Look on eBay and Craigslist for the amps that you have and see how much people are selling them for, you can also check guitar store websites that have a used section, but remember, they re-sell them for quite abit more then they buy them used for.

After you've done this, add any other money that you may have from elsewhere to work out your total budget for a new amp.

Then do some research about amps and the kind of amps that suit the kind of music you play, the amps that people you want to sound like play, etc.

After that you can come back here with some more information and then ask if someone could help you finalize your decision.

Can do Thanks for the help, everybody.
Theres a Which Gear for Metal thread somewhere..
and I should really save this somewhere...but here I go off the top of my head:

Combos:
Bugera 333
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 6260
Bugera 6262
Mesa F-30
Mesa F-50
Mesa 5:50 Express
Peavey 6505+ combo
Peavey 5150 combo
Peavey Valveking

Heads
Peavey 6505
Peavey 5150
Peavey XXX
ENGL Savage
ENGL Invader
ENGL Fireball
Soldano SLO
Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Framus Cobra
Framus Dragon

do some research, youtube, go to stores to try them out etc etc

anyone can feel free to correct me or add more
Last edited by Arterial at Jun 15, 2010,
Buying an MG100*insert pointless Marshall sub-designation here* is not an upgrade in quality whatsoever. You will be selling a piece of shit amp for a very heavy piece of shit amp. The MG series are all the same stupid practice amp SS circuit and are worthless. Marshall designed them for those kids who wanna be like, "Yo! I've got a Marshall half-stack!"

However, you know better... And so do we. Please do yourself a favour and don't buy one. :P

I really suggest just sucking it up and waiting to get more money to buy a decent amp. I don't wanna sound like a dick, but around here, MG series Marshalls are frowned upon almost as much as public masturbation...
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Karlboy
Buying an MG100*insert pointless Marshall sub-designation here* is not an upgrade in quality whatsoever. You will be selling a piece of shit amp for a very heavy piece of shit amp. The MG series are all the same stupid practice amp SS circuit and are worthless. Marshall designed them for those kids who wanna be like, "Yo! I've got a Marshall half-stack!"

However, you know better... And so do we. Please do yourself a favour and don't buy one. :P

I really suggest just sucking it up and waiting to get more money to buy a decent amp. I don't wanna sound like a dick, but around here, MG series Marshalls are frowned upon almost as much as public masturbation...

on the contrary, i rather see public masturbation than an MG stack
Public masturbation is better than Marshall MGs.
I'm curious... are there any other tube amps that a good for metal under 600 dollars? Everyone here recommends the Peavey/Bugera 6262/6505/5150... but what else can we suggest to the TS for such a low price range?

Btw... Karlboy... I'm coming to your show on the 19th...
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by Arterial
on the contrary, i rather see public masturbation than an MG stack

i mean theres a lot of public masturbation that I would like to see and wish would happen so I could see. A lot of it I don't want to see. It's about 50/50.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Leeav
I'm curious... are there any other tube amps that a good for metal under 600 dollars? Everyone here recommends the Peavey/Bugera 6262/6505/5150... but what else can we suggest to the TS for such a low price range?

Used tube: Crate blue voodoo, peavey ultra/xxx, b52 at series, peavey valveking + eq & od.

Used SS/hybrids: randalls, line 6 flextones, ampeg vh140c.

Not much really for new tube amps...besides the bugera, peavey, etc. really. b52 at series has a combo too.
Quote by Leeav

Btw... Karlboy... I'm coming to your show on the 19th...

Shit son! I kind of know you... Ish. :P I shall see you there. You should return your ticket to Aydin and buy one from Cole....
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Unit 731
Oh damn. I really don't know much about amps man.
If you (or anybody else who reads this) could reccommend a good 100 watt amp for playing metal, it would help alot! I'm not too worried about price.

Splawn Nitro or Quick Rod if you are looking for Marshall tones. What kind of metal do you play.

Also, I think the cream would make the MG sound better