I was looking for a Blackstar HT-5 combo amp. I found the combo, but I also found a mini full stack HT-5. I'd seen these before, but what is the advantage in having a mini full stack vs. just a regular combo amp?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
There are no advantages.

The disadvantages are that you look sillier and its harder to move around.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Well there is an advantage if you want to use different speaker cabinets. I'd certainly prefer the head because I have a few different cabs I'd run it into. Otherwise the combo is the better solution, it's more convenient.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The head is fine, infact that's what I would buy.
The stack however is extremely lame.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Head + 1/2/4x12 > Combo/mini-stack

/thread
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
But the mini stack is like, mini br00talz!

No, but seriously, the combo is better than the mini stack, and ch0 is probably right in saying that any type of 12 inch speaker cab is even better than that, a 1-4x12 can be used with other amps down the road, so if you wanted to upgrade, you could sell the head and keep the cab.
Well from a technical standpoint, your tubes may probably last a few days more with a head, compared to a combo.

At higher wattages, I'd recommend getting a head + cab over a combo. For the simple reason that its easier to move a 50 pound head and a 25 pound cab as compared to 65 pound combo.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
do you plan on playing this with a drummer?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.