Is there anything else I can do to make my guitar sound like a bass other than a crappy pitch shifter?
I'm looking for VST effects for it.

I'd really like a bass, but I'm poor as heck.
use a digitech whammy like me!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Not really.

Yeah, some people get away with getting a guitar to sound like the bass with a Pitch Shifter, amp modeler, EQ, etc. but to be honest you are never going to fill the low frequencies really well unless you either:

1. Buy or download a free Bass VSTi.
2. Buy a bass.

Go look up 4front bass. It is a decent free Bass VSTi, that when combined with good plug ins can sound decent. Some good commercials ones I have tried are Trillian and the Scarbee Pre Basses.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jun 15, 2010,
I just use the stock pitch shifter in Reaper, it does very well, you can shift in octaves, simitones, and even cents, doesn't sound half bad either, it's what I use as well since I'm just as poor as you are my friend. But what I do to help it is run a low pass at 7250hz and a high pass of 0hz
I too wanted to make my guitar sound like a bass, so a friend of mine suggested GhettoBASS . He says it doesn't do a great job but... maybe it's good for us.

Also, I keep forgetting to test it so if you do, please post back...
How to Program a Metalhead ?
Here is the one problem with Pitch Shifting and Whammying a bass, it comes out very thin. You're gonna need to boost the lows a shit ton to get it tolerable for a bass
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If you can afford it, just buy a bass. Nuendo and / or Cubase ships with a pretty decent VST bass guitar emulator that is going to sound a lot better than a guitar that is trying to emulate a bass, if you know what I mean. But yeah you can apply pitch shifting and whatnot but the overall effect just won't be the same; if you want to record bass, buy a bass!
use the forefront bass VST.its free and sounds great
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I have a rp 255 and theres a setting on it that converts the guitar sound into bass tones, its ok but nothin great, but you'd nearly be better off getting a cheapo yamaha bass
Winky Winky - Five Is A Four Letter Word
Quote by Eggmond
use the forefront bass VST.its free and sounds great

It doesn't go below standard tuning though. Useless for br00tz.
I found this one, it sounds pretty decent for a demo:
http://www.bornemark.se/bb/downloads.htm

You only get a muted Fender P-bass, but still.. At least it goes low..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Well I went to guitar center and tried out a bass, and yeah there's no way I can make my guitar sound like that.

So if any of you know a good place to get a cheap 5 string bass, can you hit me up?
Quote by Clay-man
Well I went to guitar center and tried out a bass, and yeah there's no way I can make my guitar sound like that.

So if any of you know a good place to get a cheap 5 string bass, can you hit me up?

The point of pitch shifting your guitar is only to fill out the mix, and give your electric guitars that huge low end without mudding up, not to add an actual bass guitar sound. I'm still waiting on this guy to give me back my 4 string bass that's actually another friend of mines bass that this guy never paid us for.
Quote by Clay-man

How cheap is cheap? For $250, you can get an Ibanez GSR205 which seems like a decent bass.
Quote by Clay-man

craigslist or ebay or something would be a good place to look for a cheap 5 string. even the used section of guitar stores. a cheap bass is like a cheap guitar though, gotta watch out when you are buying.

im also a bit up in the air on cheap bass vs. using a synth bass. a cheap bass played poorly doesnt really add much of anything to a song. but a synth bass where you put some time into it can sound decent. i have a bass but i still sometimes go the synth route because my bass playing can ruin songs

EDIT:
Quote by Alex Vik
How cheap is cheap? For $250, you can get an Ibanez GSR205 which seems like a decent bass.

or for that matter, those squire classic vibe and vintage modified basses in that price range are pretty nice. was considering those when i bought my bass. dont know if there is a 5 string though...
I would suggest just buying a bass... There is no replacement for the sound of a good Bass with a Ampeg Amp and Harke Speakers!
I want to actually play the instrument though, not just make music off it.
Quote by Clay-man
I want to actually play the instrument though, not just make music off it.

Then buy a bass, the only other option I can think of for getting a decent sound would be fitting a MIDI pickup system on your guitar, and that would cost more than a low-midrange bass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kanthras
It doesn't go below standard tuning though. Useless for br00tz

What? I play in drop B and 4Front can go well below that... I use it in almost all my recordings. Sounds really good with a little drive.