I'm really having a hard time with the B Major chord (and all chords alike but A Major), it takes me a lot of time to position the fingers correctly, if I try while playing a song I end up with my pinky blocking a string or with the index not doing a correct barring and blocking the 1st string, I just feel that I can't get the three fingers on those 4th frets, because of this I resort to just barre with the index the 2nd frets and use the ring finger to barre the 4th frets of the 2nd to 4th strings and not playing the 1st string which is for me a more comfortable and easier way to play it..

The problem is that I'm getting too used to it and I really want to play these kind of chords correctly so any tip would be really appreciated..
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
i barre the "A" part of the chord with my pinky, makes it easy to move to F based barre chords
i bar the B Major first finger on the 2 fret of 5th string, third finger barring the fourth fret for those 3 strings in the chord, might hurt at first but your fingers get used to it.

its also helpful to practice doing alot of painful barred chords because depending on what style of music you are playing you might end up having do do Bb Majors etc, and barring is the way to go in those regards aswell.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
i bar the B Major first finger on the 2 fret of 5th string, third finger barring the fourth fret for those 3 strings in the chord, might hurt at first but your fingers get used to

This is how I position my fingers for these types of bar chords as well. I know people who fret the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings with their 4th 3rd and 2nd fingers (respectively) but I have always preferred to bar the 3 strings with my 3rd finger. In my opinion you should do whatever makes it easiest for you
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
i hang my thumb over to fret the fifth string then bar the 2nd 3rd 4th with my 3rd finger and i dont play the first string, it doesnt matter, tricky at first but its the best way when u get used to it
alot of people just don't play the f# on the thinest e string because you don't have to have it in there another time. so you could just use your index finger to get the b and bar the other three notes with you ring finger, much easier.
Quote by skilly1
i hang my thumb over to fret the fifth string then bar the 2nd 3rd 4th with my 3rd finger and i dont play the first string, it doesnt matter, tricky at first but its the best way when u get used to it

you fret the 5th string with your thumb?? i don't think i can stretch my hand that way...
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
I recommend you become fairly comfortable with both. Barring the seond fret with the index and the three strings on the fourth fret is good when you need to get to the chord quickly, but the method using three different fingers will allow you to make the chord a little more interesting with added notes etc.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by stasz
you fret the 5th string with your thumb?? i don't think i can stretch my hand that way...

yeah, its difficult at first but your hand gets used to finding a good position to hold the chord and your thumb hangs over as if you where holding an F chord but just hanging the thumb over slightly more, makes holding a B chord easy when you get it.
That chord shape was hard for me to get down... If your goal is to play it correctly. All you can do is exercise it.

|---3-----------------4--5------------|--------7---------7-----------5--------5----| ect....
|-----5-------------6------7----------|--------9---------7-----------7--------5----|
|-------5----------6---------7--------|--------9---------8-----------7--------6----|
|---------5------6-------------7------|--------9---------9-----------7--------7----|
|-----------3--4-----------------5----|---7--------------9-----5--------------7----|
|---------------------------------------|------------7----------------------5---------|
Dreadfully, there are no short cuts to slamming perfect chords.

Sometime when I play A shaped barre chords I barre the whole fret. It's whatever my fingers decide to be more comfortable with.
Quote by skilly1
yeah, its difficult at first but your hand gets used to finding a good position to hold the chord and your thumb hangs over as if you where holding an F chord but just hanging the thumb over slightly more, makes holding a B chord easy when you get it.

I guess everyone has different sized/shaped hands, but I think your thumb may have an extra joint
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup