My Les Paul copy has a dead spot on the 7th fret, B string. No matter how hard I press down it still sounds dead. Any suggestion on how to fix it?
Less is more, or play songs that don't include F#...

Or take it to a Luthier/Guitar tech and have some fret work done.

James
only on the 7th fret?

that would be rather strange i thought that when you had the 7th fret failing you should have the same effect on 6, 5 ,4 etc.

but yeah get someone professional to look at it and fix it. will probably cost you 30 bucks.
Try re-stringing and doing some minor truss rod adjustment, that usually solves problems like that, for me at least.
Sounds like the frets worn down. Have a look at the fret, see if its got a groove in it. If it does, you can either raise your action (not much use) or you'll need to get your frets re-crowned.
Check the string and make sure that there is no kink in the string.
Quote by beckyjc
If theres a grove it in you could take a nail file to it an file it a bit.. Its pretty easy to **** up though.

Yeah, a bit risky...

That's only for people who like to live dangerously!
Huh...I have the same problem on the 14th fret of my G. I was going to take it into a guitar tech when I got the money/time.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Echohead
Yeah, a bit risky...

That's only for people who like to live dangerously!

I did it with my strat and its been fine ever since. But i wouldnt try it with a guitar i cared about really.
its probably a truss rod issue get it checked out
"And Whamo! Your stuck with some boring job, and they dont let you play guitar and they dont let you take pictures of naked women"
-Homer Simpson
Quote by wolvenrick
only on the 7th fret?

that would be rather strange i thought that when you had the 7th fret failing you should have the same effect on 6, 5 ,4 etc.

but yeah get someone professional to look at it and fix it. will probably cost you 30 bucks.

Yeah I though it was rather strange too. And it's only in one spot which makes it even more strange.
Quote by littlephil
Sounds like the frets worn down. Have a look at the fret, see if its got a groove in it. If it does, you can either raise your action (not much use) or you'll need to get your frets re-crowned.

It's a pretty old guitar. I would say at the least 25 years. So the frets are probably getting worn. I did check the frets and there isn't a groove in any of them that I can see or feel.

I did re-string the guitar a few weeks ago when I first noticed the dead stop thinking it would help but it didn't.

As for the action, it's already pretty high. If it was raised any more it would be murder to play.