i have an epiphone sg, and the nut broke recently, i was wondering if i could order a new nut from the site or get one by store, or would i have to buy a whole new guitar?
you can order a new nut from just about any online music/guitar store.

i'd find a link, but i'm leaving for some ice cream, NOW.
Nut replacement is not an expensive job, I would take it to a repairman. He/she will get it done quickly.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Yeah, you can replace them fairly easy, takes about 5 minutes, and a little bit of glue. I would order from here: www.Graphtech.com since I swear by their products, all you have to do is find the measurements, which isen't hard, and there not overpriced, but totally worth it over stock plastic nuts.
Quote by handbanana
Aren't most stock nuts made out of bone, not plastic?

No.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by handbanana

Not any time in the last twenty years.
Quote by handbanana

Not really, this is where most companies cut their quality, even a $3000 Gibson Les Paul is going to have a plastic nut, saves money, not much, but some people will never tell the difference.

I know for a fact that Taylor puts graphtech nuts and saddles on all of their guitars now. So it's not always true with ever single guitar, but most will have a plastic nut.
Interesting, well I need a new nut for my SG, the low E string is sitting just slightly too low. How much do you think it would cost for a tech to switch it out with a new one? Or is it easy enough that I could do it myself? This is not including the cost of the actual nut.
dude its a peice of plastic. you could probably make one. have a shop put one on, or buy one for your guitar and super glue it on (use glue sparringly!!!!!)

or, buy a blank one and file it down properly if you have the know how.
Quote by handbanana
Interesting, well I need a new nut for my SG, the low E string is sitting just slightly too low. How much do you think it would cost for a tech to switch it out with a new one? Or is it easy enough that I could do it myself? This is not including the cost of the actual nut.

It's prolly the easiest thing you can do yourself besides changing strings, takes 5 minutes, a little glue, and some measuring. The Graphtech ones cost like $10, comes with a kit and instructions to help you install it.

If you have a shop do it it could run around $20-$50 depending on the shop and how competent the tech is.
A good nut replacement will run $50–$120 depending on where you live and who the tech is. Really good techs can usually do a Tusq nut cheap because they come pre-cut for most guitars and just need some careful filing to fit the nut slot on your guitar. The problem is that to do the job right you’ll need nut files and they aren’t cheap. Hobby files and even doll house files are just too big to cut the slots for unwound strings. Don’t listen to the clueless forum critters who tell you to DYI, this is really one of those things that’s worth paying extra to have done right.
Quote by jpnyc
A good nut replacement will run $50–$120 depending on where you live and who the tech is. Really good techs can usually do a Tusq nut cheap because they come pre-cut for most guitars and just need some careful filing to fit the nut slot on your guitar. The problem is that to do the job right you’ll need nut files and they aren’t cheap. Hobby files and even doll house files are just too big to cut the slots for unwound strings. Don’t listen to the clueless forum critters who tell you to DYI, this is really one of those things that’s worth paying extra to have done right.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to buy a blank nut and install it themselves when they come precut for the same price.

If you get precut, then make sure your e to E distance is the exact same. If you measure it correctly, it'll take a moron to install it wrong.
When you replace it, make sure it fits snugly but DO NOT GLUE IT DOWN. This is incase you want to replace it again.
most guitars have plastic nuts stock, and when the plastic dries (yes.) its easily going to crack. That happened to my first guitars nut like this
strings.
| | | | | |#
the rest whats left out of the high e string (#) cracked off.
Took it to an instrument repairer and he made and placed in a new nut made of bone for 50e.

Yesturday I bought my schecter (sig) and yeah im friggin happy! (YES).
It came with a Black Tusq saddle stock, its supposed to catch more frequencies and extend sustain compared to a bone nut. No complaints about the sustain, I mean, its not craaaazy Steve Vai but im cool with it, as I dont necessarily even need a crazy sustain. A chart came with the guitar about the nut comparison, it indicates that the tusq nut has app. 1 second more sustain. Anyway for me its hard to compare sustain as I have 2 guitars, the schecter with the black tusq nut and my LTD M-100fm with a lincensed FR.

Jonathan