Hey guys, I'm purchasing a 5150 II and Line 6 4x12 with v30's this weekend and the deal comes with two of 12' Monster Rock cables.

Whilst reading on the forums today, someone mentioned a speaker cable rather than an instrument cable. Naturally I googled that shit and I still dont quite understand if these (http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2307) cables would work as speaker cables.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
speaker cables are meant to carry a larger signal than instrument cables. you should really look into one of those. it doesn't have to be overly expensive or overly long. as long as it has good shielding, and can reach from the head to speaker input, you're fine.
Will my amp be harmed if I use an instrument cable (TEMPORARILY) running from My head to my cab?

Edit: Kinda strapped for cash :/
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
definitely use speaker cables to connect heads to cabs. this link might help explain a little

http://www.ehow.com/about_6300353_speaker-cables-vs_-instrument-cables.html
Quote by DakoRob
Will my amp be harmed if I use an instrument cable (TEMPORARILY) running from My head to my cab?

Edit: Kinda strapped for cash :/

Yeah, definitely don't do that, especially when you're running a 120w amp like the 5150.
Inexpensive speaker cable: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Horizon-Speaker-Cable?sku=336620

Go with 16 gauge or anything under, in the 6ft length. The lower the gauge, the better.
Instrument cable blows > open circuit > amp blows.

I have always made my speaker cables out of 10A power cable. I just cut up an extension cable. More current than you'll ever need AND it's twisted pair (just cut off the third wire).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Kay thanks, think ima just trade in the two monster cables for a speaker cable at my local music store.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
You can get a speaker cable for like 6.00 dollars.

Can't be that broke if you just got a new amp and what not.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by User_Name336
speaker cables are meant to carry a larger signal than instrument cables. you should really look into one of those. it doesn't have to be overly expensive or overly long. as long as it has good shielding, and can reach from the head to speaker input, you're fine.

Shielding is very much unnecessary on speaker cables.
Quote by User_Name336

Um yeah, the difference between instrument and speaker cables is that speaker cables dont have shielding.

From what ive read, its you can use a short instrument cable (Like a patch cable) temporarilry at low volumes. BUt i wouldnt risk it really.

I spent a bit of time looking into this.

The actual problem comes from the sheilding of the cable which isnt designed to handle the high current, will heat up very fast and disperse through the whole cable, as the shielding is wrapped around the signal wire.

Meaning the inner insulation around the "hot" signal wire could melt and the sheilding touching the signal wire would cause a short, or the solder connections to the jack could become lose, which as a result could mean youd blow your output transformer if your amp isnt connected to anything half way through a gig with the volume cranked.