First of all, I'd just like to say i read jallas' sticky, but I'm still uncertain on one small issue.. (Although the thread was absolutely amazing for its level of clarity and information)

when writing, should there be the same amount of syllables in each line? When I write, I'll jot down say, 4 lines, 8 syllables each, no force ryhme (most of the time no ryhme at all), but it'll still sound s***e.

What I mean by that is, I'll put it into a really basic chord progression, to "test" it and see if all four lines fit together, but they just don't. Its really weird and I don't have a clue why it sounds off when each line has 8 syllables.

Like, look at a song by All Time Low, Six feet under the stars, ( I know, i know, pop/punk garbage :P) the lyrics seem to have no structure. i've counted the syllables in each line, they do not match AT ALL, yet the song still sounds great! What the hell is going on?
Don't worry about it too much, but don't completely disregard it. As long as it flows in a rhythm, then the syllables don't matter. The overall rhythm is more important.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black