Hello, I'm going to start giving guitar lessons. I have given lessons before to my friends for $5 a lesson. I'm not sure whether I would give them from my house, or if i should drive to the client's home. I would make a 1 page lesson plan for each student every lesson. Each lesson would be about half an hour.

Basically i want your input on this:

How much should I charge? ( I'm thinking $10 a lesson is fair. )

Is it more common for people to give lessons out of their houses or actually drive to their house? ( I will mostly be teaching children who can't drive, so it might be more convenient for their parents if i drive to their house.)

How long should lessons be? (I'm thinking 30 minutes, but i will go longer as needed, like if i need an extra 10 minutes to change their strings, or explain a concept.)

How could I promote myself? ( So far my ideas are: Word of mouth, business cards at Guitar Center, posting signs on telephone poles.)

Personal info about me :

I'm 17, I've been playing about 5 years, I know enough music theory and styles to teach children and my peers, I take lessons, so I have an understanding of what a Guitar Lesson should be.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by toothless tim at Jun 16, 2010,
At your age and level of experience, 10 dollars per half hour lesson.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
At your age and level of experience, 10 dollars per half hour lesson.

This sounds about right to me.
Como te
ya, that's what im thinking too, most other lessons around town are $15 - $25, so i would be staying competitive.
I pay my guitar teacher 25 bucks per 45-minute lesson. He has really serious credentials, though. In my town, that's on the cheap end for a professional teacher, so even though you're fairly young (which always cuts how much parents are willing to pay), you can absolutely pull off more than $5. I've had a few teachers over the years, and I've always gone to their houses. I've found it to work better, I don't know if I could've gotten as much done if my teachers had come to me. For younger kids, lessons at around a half hour are probably good starting points, but for older teens with longer attention spans, you can get a lot accomplished in 45. I would advise posting signs in all the music stores nearby, and in some lower-key venues. Tends to get the word out well.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Mines $30/30 minute lesson. Lessons are expensive in my area, they range $25+
I think these guys are on the right track. I think $10/half hour is pretty fair, after all you aren't a professional musician, but you do have some skills. I've always had students come to my house because if you have more than a couple students, it can get crazy going to them (not to mention gas money). As for promotion, get all your clients, their parents, your parents and all of your friends to help you out; I got most of my close friends to carry a couple of my cards in their wallets. Good luck man!
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
My guitar teacher did $15 for an hour every week.

But, later on I became one of his advanced students, and I normally just stayed another hour.

MC name = Bearrorism
Thanks for that idea, i didn't think about gas money...

Oh, also i forgot got to ask

Should the first lesson be free? That way they can see what it is like, and I think it is fair for the parent to be present the whole time during the first lesson, and if they wish they can stay inside with their kid during all their other lessons, but i suspect most parents will just wait outside in their car. ( I would prefer if the parent wasn't with their kid the whole time cause that puts pressure on me. )
When I took lessons at a local music shop they cost $15 for 30 mins.

That was also like 5 or 6 years ago. I'd say $15-20 is fair if you're actually a skilled guitarist that can teach well.

Otherwise maybe $10.
I've done the first one free, and I think it helped put some people at ease, if they weren't sure about taking the lessons. A lot of them though, they're pretty much set on learning, so they just find a teacher and say 'Yea, lets do this,' so it didn't make much difference. I'd definitely let parents stay if they want, but for my personal experience most will usually wait in the car, or drop them off and come back. Maybe you have another room in your house where they could read or something? I get the pressure part though, its harder with the student's parents around.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Honestly, I know I'm skilled enough to give $15 lessons, but I don't NEED the money. ( I just want some extra cash for summer. ) Plus, I think $10 a lesson is much more appealing to parents that bought their kids a cheap guitar starter pack for X-mas. That's my target demographic.
Quote by toothless tim
Honestly, I know I'm skilled enough to give $15 lessons.

It depends on where you live. If you live in my area, you're not. Plain and simple. I'm not saying you aren't talented, but unless you're a phenom guitar master wunderkind, then I wouldn't pay you 15 dollars and hour if I were a parent or a student. Why? Because experience INCREDIBLY important. In order to be a great teacher, you don't just have to know how to do the stuff you're teaching yourself, you have to really know how other guitarists think and approach the guitar and music in general. And that takes years of teaching, jamming, performing, etc.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I'd say $20 per hour. 30 minutes just isn't enough in my opinion.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power