So, here's the usual story. I'm pretty new to guitar, ya know? Well, I've been playing for about 2 years and I don't even feel like I know as much as I should know. I'm impatient when it comes to learning by myself. I don't like reading alot, it reminds me of school. But, I learned you have to to become a great musician. [:

Uhm, I don't know if anyone is willing to tell me alot. But I really have alot of questions. Like, about distortions and etc. Like, Does the quality of the guitar depend on how it would sound through a distortion? And when you pick electric guitar strings, what's the difference between soft, medium, and hard strings?

Things along those lines, but if you could answer some of these, I'd greatly appriciate it and I'd love you forever! DDDDD

More question Furthere downn vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
<33333
Last edited by xshatteredxjuvi at Jun 16, 2010,
What exactly is your question? Heavier strings are easier to pick and stay in tune better but harder to bend.
quality of guitar generally dont affect how they'll sound through distortion. the exact opposite is true of a clean channel however, which is generally what you want to base guitar quality on.

as for strings, the thicker the string, the stronger the tension. this means a few things: you can tune lower and it will hold tune better with thicker strings; bass response will be slightly higher. thick strings are a tad harder to bend however. lighter strings can still hold tune, but will just flop around at lower tunings. they are very easy to bend (and very easy to break as well if youre not careful).

anything else?

PS: sorry for the wall of text. forgot about that reading part.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
You will have a better sound with a better guitar generally. Bigger strings have greater tension in them so you sometimes need to adjust your guitar to that tension with your truss rod. Smaller strings have less tension and need adjusted sometimes also. Medium strings are at a medium tension and don't need adjusting usually.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Depends on what you wanted to learn really. Distortion differs by what level you want, and how you plan to use it. Guitar quality doesnt go near distortion either, its all about materials used along with parts and where it was crafted and by who. Strings is more about gauge as well, for example a 9gauge is a really light string, 10's are more a medium and suit most tunings well (till you go past drop C really) and 11's and up is for serious low tuning (e.g. Drop B, A#, A etc)
Hummm, so your saying that I should start out with medium? Most of the songs I look up are Drop C tuning, so that would be best?

More questionss[:

Finger tapping.. I still don't understand how that works? [If that's a question.. x3]

Is an overdrive distortion used in most alternative songs?

Or if I wanted to play stuff like Escape The Fate or Armor For Sleep, would that be the right distortion to use?

I also have a Fender stratacoustic. Electric/acoustic guitar. Do they have a special type of stings to use? Because I've been busting my brains out, trying to firgure out if they do.
Last edited by xshatteredxjuvi at Jun 16, 2010,
Quote by xshatteredxjuvi
So, here's the usual story. I'm pretty new to guitar, ya know? Well, I've been playing for about 2 years and I don't even feel like I know as much as I should know. I'm impatient when it comes to learning by myself. I don't like reading alot, it reminds me of school. But, I learned you have to to become a great musician. [:

Uhm, I don't know if anyone is willing to tell me alot. But I really have alot of questions. Like, about distortions and etc. Like, Does the quality of the guitar depend on how it would sound through a distortion? And when you pick electric guitar strings, what's the difference between soft, medium, and hard strings?

Things along those lines, but if you could answer some of these, I'd greatly appriciate it and I'd love you forever! DDDDD

If you go to my profile you'll see that I mentor many guitar players on this forum, but the quality of the guitar does and will have an effect on the distortion, particularly the pickups.

Best,

Sean
Guitar construction doesn't matter much when it comes to distortion, but pickups definitely do.
If you are playing in drop C, I would suggest a 10gauge set of Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom strings. Also, search tapping on YouTube or on lessons here and that should clarify some things for you
You seem to be a little behind on a good deal of information, why don't you get yourself a guitar teacher or something like that?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by xshatteredxjuvi
Pickups...?
.___>

the things that pick up the sound.

humbucker:

single coil

there are also piezo pickups for acoustics and electric/acoustics. they're usually under the bridge.
There are no special acoustic/electric strings, they use piezo pickups like 4thHorseman said, and regular acoustic strings.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Quote by Msword7
You seem to be a little behind on a good deal of information, why don't you get yourself a guitar teacher or something like that?

This. You miss a lot of basic information for someone who's been playing ~2 years, and a (good!) guitar teacher will help fixing your problems BIG time

What are some of the songs you can play by now?
Quote by xshatteredxjuvi
Or if I wanted to play stuff like Escape The Fate or Armor For Sleep, would that be the right distortion to use?

There is not really any different kinds of distortion, When trying to get a different sound yoou are usually just messing with the level of distortion, gain and stuff like that.

I havn't listened to a lot of Escape the Fate, or Armor for Sleep, but if you want to match the distortion for these artists, all you really have to do is first, listen to the song, and second, try to match their sound with your guitar (you may mave to adjust trebel, bass, tone and all the other stuff to get the sound perfect, not just distortion).
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Tapping is doing hammer ons and pull offs but with two hands. The pull off part is just as important to get down as the tap itself or it can sound pretty bad.

They do use overdrive (based on my knowledge of just a few Escape the Fate songs) but it would most likely take a bit of experimenting to find the exact combination of settings that they use.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
I agree with the "get lessons" advice... If money/time isn't available for you, then hit youtube. There are a million videos out there that can help you advance yourself, and cover a MUCH needed foundation. Make sure you know the names and parts of the guitar (what they do), your basic chords, and major scale before you move on...
Also, keep in mind that band's like Escape the Fate have a huge guitar sound, meaning, the recordings you're hearing isn't just one amp, and has a lot of post recording Eqing and production done on it. If I remember correctly (too lazy to google it!) the guitarist from Escape the Fate played Les Pauls, and Orange Amps, since I doubt you have 3000+ dollars of guitar gear, you're going to have trouble matching his sound, so don't get discouraged. Like said before, make sure your overdrive is on high, and your bass is low, your middle is a little above the middle setting, and you have a lot of trebble. Then adjust these slightly until it matches.
Good luck!
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Seems like no one ever mentions this when buying a guitar and learning to play it. LEARN THIS: the sound of fret buzz. Once you learn what fret buzz sounds like then you know what to look for in a good guitar, no fret buzz. Also check out guitar product demos at youtube, it helps to sort out what you want to check out at the guitar store when you can't test out EVERYTHING at the store.
Quote by Keth
This. You miss a lot of basic information for someone who's been playing ~2 years, and a (good!) guitar teacher will help fixing your problems BIG time

What are some of the songs you can play by now?

I know this is pretty late. :p
I can play one Bullet For My Valentine Song, Tears Don't fall.
I've been teaching myself, and I guess I can see I havent been doing a very good job. :l
We don't really have the money for a guitar teacher.. Sadly.
So this is all I have, sometimes youtube doesn't help crap. I'm getting all discouraged nao. D:
Can any of you tell me.. like.. NEED TO KNOW guitar facts? So I wont feel like such a stupid loser when it comes to guitar?
Quote by spiderjump
Seems like no one ever mentions this when buying a guitar and learning to play it. LEARN THIS: the sound of fret buzz. Once you learn what fret buzz sounds like then you know what to look for in a good guitar, no fret buzz. Also check out guitar product demos at youtube, it helps to sort out what you want to check out at the guitar store when you can't test out EVERYTHING at the store.

I would rather play a crappy sounding amplified guitar that did not have fret buzz as opposed to a great sounding guitar that only fretted on the first few frets.
I have seen cheap guitars that fret really well that sound bad amplified, usually due to cheap pickups. On the other hand I have owned high end American made guitars that sounded like shit because they needed to be set up right. Your best bet is to go to Guitar center and play on a guitar and just hit every note and make sure it doesnt buzz. If you are playing heavily distorted music u want to get Humbucker pickups.
And make sure you play the actual guitar you will purchase and not just the in store demo. Alot of times I have played the demo and it sounds good only to get the guitar from the back that was not setup correctly. Also I would recommend starting out to learn playing the blues as well as improvising over blues progressions. Practice with as many musicians as you can. Also be aware that you will sound alot different with a band than you will playing by yourself. This may seem kinda obvious, but alot of people go tone searching and dont realize how much the bass and drums add to the guitar sound. So they try all kinds of effects and gear to compensate for that.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Quote by xshatteredxjuvi

More question Furthere downn vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
<33333

Your question really threw me, but if that's what youre after, I suppose I'll do my best. If distortions are your priority, then the answer is yes and no, to get really good quality sound, most of it will come from the pickups that you have on the guitar, if you have stock pickups on some name brand, chances are if its not G&L, or Reverend, that you have what I'd call "Passable" pickups, they give you some output and some tone through an amp and that's about it. For the rest you have to look at your pickups. The quality does depend greatly as to how that distortion will sound, so will things like amps.

Best,

Sean