so the singer in my band bought a bass and is saving for an amp. i know guitar amps drastically change tones and which stuff is better for metal and what not but im not certain if bass amps make a ton of difference.

playing primarily metal, but needs to be able to pull off some classic rock.

just bought an epiphone thunderbird bass.

im thinking price range is 400-500. but im not completely sure. i think 400 is what he is shooting for.

he wants to be able to play with us and be able to do gigs. we practice pretty loud.

i've been looking at some fender rumble stuff like the 150w and 350w ones. any opinions? also i looked at the GK mb115 any opinions on that?

im one of the guitarists so this is why im doing this for him. thanks guys.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
so the singer in my band bought a bass and is saving for an amp. i know guitar amps drastically change tones and which stuff is better for metal and what not but im not certain if bass amps make a ton of difference.

playing primarily metal, but needs to be able to pull off some classic rock.

just bought an epiphone thunderbird bass.

im thinking price range is 400-500. but im not completely sure. i think 400 is what he is shooting for.

he wants to be able to play with us and be able to do gigs. we practice pretty loud.

i've been looking at some fender rumble stuff like the 150w and 350w ones. any opinions? also i looked at the GK mb115 any opinions on that?

im one of the guitarists so this is why im doing this for him. thanks guys.

ouch.

Look at acoustic, kustom and Hartke. I'd honestly avoid fender amps unless you're going for one of the top end ones
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
oh well i can fix the neck dive for him. and when i played it i liked it so idk, he seemed to like it a lot too. i mean he is a beginner and all so i think its fine for him.
a bass amp is pretty much usually transparent. Hartke, SWR, GK all make decent amps for that price
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
a lot of bass amps aren't transparent at all. It depends on what you get.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Here's my (very) limited expereince with bass amps

Peavey: Very "Rocky" colour your tone quite a bit,but gives it a driving quality, not always the most robust of amps but they go pretty loud. Could work and might help out some of that Mud you'll be getting from that T-bird

Laney Again, pretty driving,though a bit more transparent, the EQ's on these tend to be good I find, but they do fall apart/randomly stop working to the point that even the repair guys in my local store had no idea why, so to be avoided

Behringer JUST NO. NO.NO.

Ashdown Quite bright,but transparent, and nice looking amps, again a bit sketchy at times though, had a mate who's had nout but trouble with his

Trace Elliot
Pricey. Uk built and it's a ballsy sound, and sexy as hell looking, with neon green lights. It's not a subtle amp,and they sound pretty modern, listen to any track off Song about f*cking by Big Black, Jeff Pezzati played through a Trace for that album. A lot of Ashdown designs are similiar, but Trace are better built and defo have more oomph to them, Not as loud as the others though. Im biased,I own one.lol

Ampeg Played through an Ampeg SVT with a 4X12 once...got the sweetest tones ever, but waaaay out of budget...still a man can dream, check out bands like the pixies for an idea of that smooth thones it gets with a P bass

None of that may have bene useful, but as a basic guideline,try and at least double the wattage of your bands guitar amps, otherwise u will get lost in the sound
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"