Hey Everyone.

I wanna start off by apologizing for my writing in advance. It's all over the place but Im working on it I will be looking for musicians to start a ska/punk band as soon as school starts again in the fall. I want to start off at first by learning a good bunch of covers and playing out in bars and parties. I do want to write originals and eventually become a "legit" band over a short time though. Im hoping you all can help me with some songs that would go over well that fit in our genre. They don't necessarily have to be "popular" songs although that would help. Basically anything that is catchy and hard not to dance too Im really into bands like The Toasters, Madness, The Specials, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Streetlight, Auqabats ...so I plan on playing some of their songs in our set list. Any other suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.

Also as a sidenote: There are absolutely no bands around my area doing this type of music at all. A few punk bands but absolutely no ska influence with a brass section and/or keys. It's your typical bar rock type of town (which I have nothing against). What do you think about our idea of the band in general. Either way Im gonna do it because it's the type of music I love to play and write but how do you think the reception will be? (assuming were good ). A few people I know told me they would love to go out on a weekend and hear some good tunes like this instead of the same songs every band covers so thats encouraging. Again thanks for the help.
Well, first off, this thread may help you as far as some bands you should consider covering, mostly Two Tone and Third Wave.

But most of what you've got there is good. I'd just consider throwing in a little bit of Reel Big Fish, Skatalaties, Catch 22, Bad Manners, Mustard Plug, and The English Beat, all of which are on that list. All pretty standard stuff, but it's a definite start.

As far as the side note, if you think you can pull it off, go for it, seriously. I'm in a ska-punk band, albeit not a very good one, but we'd gotten great reception in the past, from ska fans and non-ska fans alike. Just one piece of advice. Make sure the musicians you have are dedicated enough to the band, or you will get NOWHERE.

Good luck, man.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Pretty much all of the bands i'd reccommend have been already said, but here's my recommendations:
Mad Caddies, Operation Ivy, Rx Bandits (Early stuff), Bomb The Music Industry!, Arrogant sons of bitches, Capdown and check out a band called "chewing on tinfoil" they're from Dublin and have got some really great ska songs, they don't have a horn section either so it gives you heaps of other ideas to make great ska songs without using horns and not keeping them boring.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Quote by Mr Pringle
they're from Dublin and have got some really great ska songs, they don't have a horn section either so it gives you heaps of other ideas to make great ska songs without using horns and not keeping them boring.

What?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa

What?

I don't even know anymore.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...