I currently have a Marshall DSL401 and while I like the tone I can get from it, the amps own distortions need an overdrive pedal with gain at zero and level at maximum to tighten them up enough for my tastes. Unfortunately that means I have nowhere left to go when it comes to boosting for solos. I play in a Rock covers band so ideally I need something that will run from clean to very high gain. The distortions need to be tight and articulate; certainly not mushy, which is what this Marshall is without the overdrive in front. I was originally thinking of a head to go with my 4X12 but now I'm thinking it might be more versatile to go with a combo so I have the option of using a smaller rig. Whatever amp it is, it needs to be versatile, have a series effects loop, take pedals well and have multiple channels that can be set independently. The budget is probably no more than £500 but I'm more than happy to go second hand if they can be sourced OK through Ebay. My initial thoughts were:

Bugera 333XL (not at all sure about the reliability)
Peavey 6505+
Marshall (no idea which one would be best)

Any thoughts on these or any other ideas welcome
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
6505+ great amp
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
I've tried that. The gain is set to 6, I usually use OD2 on the amp and I have the overdrive with gain at zero at max. Last thing in the loop is an MXR Boost pedal that has virtually no effect at all. Conversely, I also use a Hardwire Metal Distortion pedal on the clean channel and the boost pedal will send that through the roof!
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1