Hey guys, does anyone know about the 1989 ESP Horizon Custom? I have a chance to grab one at a damn good price and it's in quite good condition, given it's 20 years old.

It's got:
Dark metallic blue coloured contoured Ash body
22 fret Maple neck
ESP custom hotrail neck pickup
ESP custom humbucker bridge pickup
Floyd Rose locking tremolo

What do you guys think? Worth it?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Yeah... I am pretty tempted!

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Quote by Guitar Sushi
What do you mean "worth it?". You haven't even given us a price.

Roughly $800 AUD or $700 USD...

If it's in good condition, it is DEFINITELY worth it.

I think you should see if you can try the guitar before you buy it perhaps
Heh, I bought it.... $770 Australian. I hope it's as good as I think it will be!

Quote by seemeel
Heh, I bought it.... $770 Australian. I hope it's as good as I think it will be!

Not a bad price overall, such a shame that if you wait out you could almost get a ESP Standard Series for only an extra $230. Anyway good purchase man
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Not a bad price overall, such a shame that if you wait out you could almost get a ESP Standard Series for only an extra $230. Anyway good purchase man
Why would he do that? The Horizon Custom is a much better instrument. They got the same grade bodies as the ESP Custom Shop now uses so even at just a very base level, an odler H Custom is going to always be a better guitar than the modern H Standards.

OP, congrats on the purchase, sounds like it will be a good 'un.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Why would he do that? The Horizon Custom is a much better instrument. They got the same grade bodies as the ESP Custom Shop now uses so even at just a very base level, an odler H Custom is going to always be a better guitar than the modern H Standards.

Never said anything about it being a bad purchase or that TS should change guitars just saying in general used prices in Aus for ESP SS are shit
Quote by azn_guitarist25

While I can't say so definitively, I would like to think that the 1989 H Custom would be a much better guitar than today's H standard series... not that they're bad by any means, but you get what I'm saying. And also, I wasn't planning on buying a guitar at all. I just stumbled upon this one and decided on the spur of the moment to get it. I was originally thinking of getting a bass soon, but that's going to have to wait for a bit now. So even if i hadn't gotten this, I wouldn't have got the H standard. And I don't know where you can them for $1000 - here, a good price seems to be about $2k...

Quote by MrFlibble

OP, congrats on the purchase, sounds like it will be a good 'un.

Thanks man. Apparently, it should be here within 48 hours so fingers crossed I can try it out soon. There will be a review posted here once I have played with it for a little bit and know what I'm talking about.

If the guitar was anywhere close to where I live it would be sitting brightly in my living room by now :p Make sure you post lots of pic when you got it. A 20 years old instrument such as this is always interesting.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
If the guitar was anywhere close to where I live it would be sitting brightly in my living room by now :p Make sure you post lots of pic when you got it. A 20 years old instrument such as this is always interesting.

Haha, the guitar is getting here. It's about 700km away but it should be posted first thing tomorrow (it's 10.30pm local time here), so I am thinking that it should be here no later than Friday some time.

And yes, pics are coming. Many, many pics... I am actually really looking forward to this, which is odd because I never knew I needed the guitar until I suddenly came across it! Thanks Mr Credit Card...

I have to say, it was the age of the guitar that appealed to me more than anything else. Metal isn't really my style, so ordinarily I would look at more rock-oriented guitars (strat, LP) but I couldn't pass this up. Hopefully it rocks as hard as I hope it does plugged into a marshall stack!

I am going to have to attach another hanger to my wall now...

Quote by azn_guitarist25
ESP Standard Series for only an extra $230.

Not in Australia. LTD's go into the 2000 range here. It's bullshit.
Quote by Ali-b912

Yeah, the LTD deluxe range is ~$1800, ESP standard series is $2500-$3000, and the ESP Custom range is around $7000. I don't know how comparable these are but it gives you at least some idea of the sort of bargain that I got!

Actually when someone mentioned about the guitar being 20 years old was attractive, it made me think of what my old guitar teacher used to ramble on about. He used to say aged guitar sounds WAAAAAAY better.

But I have no experience with aged vs non-aged guitars so I have no opinion on this. I did get feeling he was a little biased but he had been playing for 30 plus years in the old rock genre, so tone was really important to him.

does anyone else have any of these aged wood experiences?
Quote by Ali-b912

You definitely can used Why I mentioned the whole waiting.