5 31%
I disagree.
4 25%
I somewhat agree.
4 25%
I'm unsure.
3 19%
Voters: 16.
I was talking with my mom about Oprah, and she said one thing I was sort of wondering about.

The way I'd word what she said is that even though the poverty and human suffering in Africa is awful and it's great for people to donate and help them, there are plenty of places outside Africa that are going through very similar poverty and suffering, but people in the U.S., especially the mainstream, focus and cover a lot more on Africa, and part of the reason for that is because Oprah has been very vocal in covering all the negative things going on in Africa.

At first I was like , but on second though, here in the U.S., Oprah really is like a fucking god. She pretty much decides which books will be on the bestsellers list, millions of people are strongly influenced by subjects talked about on Oprah's show, and she pretty much just picked our president (well, maybe not that much. But she did give him a lot of popularity and a better chance). And she does talk quite a bit about Africa, and it seems like she talked about that way more than other places like Honduras or Haiti (before the earthquake).

So Pit, do you agree or disagree?
Yeah Oprah is an annoying bitch. Somehow she is so popular but there are just way too many clear cases that show Oprah is far from worthy of the "god" status she has somehow attained.
I don't see the problem.

Everyone is free to choose which issues matter most to them. If Oprah cares the most about issues in Africa then good for her. Let her talk about them and try to improve things there.
Its like that here in the UK, so I'd have to say no, Oprah isn't the reason there's so much focus on Africa as opposed to other poor places.
Quote by MightyAri
Are you asking if Oprah is solely responsible for the awareness of African poverty??
Not solely, but if she has a relatively strong part of responsibility.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Yeah Oprah is an annoying bitch. Somehow she is so popular but there are just way too many clear cases that show Oprah is far from worthy of the "god" status she has somehow attained.

She's worked her ass off for all that she has.

OT, she does give attention to other issues besides poverty in Africa. Maybe not as much, but I guess it's her prerogative.
I see your point and sure she gives specific regions a lot of attention. Anyone who has something personal about anything will give considerably more attention to that specific thing. I don't see Oprah as a problem about it, it's something personal to her and it's her contribution to help better the world for those people. On an unrelated point I do feel that people may tend to put a bit too much faith into the words of Oprah and other celebrities similar to her...but it's not to say I feel she's harming anyone by it. So I dunno, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle about it. She does her thing, her followers do whatever...I do my thing and we don't get in each other's way so it's cool.
I remember seeing she had some cult morons on there saying that people could have ANYTHING if they just wished for it enough.

P.S - Steadman what the hell is wrong with you?!
sounds like a decent fit. when can we ship her?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.