Page 1 of 5
... only 10 years after he was already executed.

In short-- a man was executed for murder in 2000, and the single piece of evidence linking him to the murder was a piece of hair found at the scene. Until recently, the hair was believed to be that of the original executed suspect, and he was thus put to death in 2000 by lethal injection.

Recent DNA tests ran on the hair follicle proved that it was in fact not the convicted man's hair after all. The man was sentenced to death and executed in the state of Texas in 2000 nonetheless.

For the full article: http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2010/06/a_decade_too_late_dna_test_okd.html

This isn't the first time this has happened. Thoughts?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
This is why I'm against death penalty, plus you're almost as bad as a murderer if you support death penalty.

Quote by Bizarro
Sorry, but its true.
Texas, eh?

And the can o' worms you just opened is probably just as big as the gun thread yesterday.

My thoughts: Killing people is BAAAAAAAD. Big thinker, no?
Usually, when you kill somebody you can't turn it back. I don't like death penalties, it's like fighting fire with fire. The state should stand above criminals.
That's terrible. I just got finished reading The Innocent man by John Grisham and it is almost the exact same story. A man is convicted by a corrupt court in Texas; the "evidence" that convicted this man was a strand of hair. Basically hair tests are really terrible for identification purposes.

It pisses me off that things like this still happen in this day and age.
not the first time. unfortunately, not the last.

FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
#DTWD
And hello davey. Long time no football talk.
Quote by Overlord
i think that if the untied states wants to grant states the ability to have a death penalty than everytime this happens the falsely accused's family should be taken care of for the rest of the current living generation. not just welfare but upper middle class living. they should be given a free degree opportunity for all current living children. a nice house in a good well of community, 2 cars(use GM), and the judge who tried the case should loose his ability to see over any court in that particular county.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Carnivean
And hello davey. Long time no football talk.

football? oh you mean the jacksonville ... oh gosh ... what was their name?

kidding, of course. i'm sure they'll do better this season.
#DTWD
Death Penalty is stupid. It would suck way worse to rot in prison and get sodomized by some 450 pound dude everyday for the rest of your life, than to be almost painlessly put to death.
cig
haha go broncos. go tebow
Quote by Overlord
As long as the death penalty is utilized by the court systems this will probably keep happening. (Not saying I'm for or against it)
I need you to be awesome, can you be awesome for me?
Quote by Skagasm
i think that if the untied states wants to grant states the ability to have a death penalty than everytime this happens the falsely accused's family should be taken care of for the rest of the current living generation. not just welfare but upper middle class living. they should be given a free degree opportunity for all current living children. a nice house in a good well of community, 2 cars(use GM), and the judge who tried the case should loose his ability to see over any court in that particular county.

I agreed with all but the bold.

Sucks that this happens though. It was probably because of the fact that he was on parole from a murder sentence.
Quote by levi.lydat
He died in vain, what a shame.

specifically in the leg vein, according to the article.

"nyack, nyack, nyack, nyack."
#DTWD
Quote by jld8111
Death Penalty is stupid. It would suck way worse to rot in prison and get sodomized by some 450 pound dude everyday for the rest of your life, than to be almost painlessly put to death.
Of all the terrible reasons I've heard against of the death penalty, "It doesn't suck enough" is high up there.
Quote by FrehleyCarr
This is why I'm against death penalty, plus you're almost as bad as a murderer if you support death penalty.

what?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Skagasm

Abit over board,partially agree with this though.
Quote by joshua029
what?

Well, he's saying that if you support the murder of those people you'd be somewhat of a murderer yourself.
Is that so hard?
kthxbai.
Quote by joshua029
what?

A murderer kills people, so if you support death penalty your supporting, well, killing people, basically what The_Casinator said

Quote by Bizarro
Sorry, but its true.
Quote by primusfan
specifically in the leg vein, according to the article.

"nyack, nyack, nyack, nyack."

This type of shameless, disgusting and completely offside humor is DEFINITELY my favorite kind of humor. I realize that I'm going to hell. See you soon Carlin

OT: This really is a tragedy in all respects. I totally agree with the above poster who said that a lifetime of prison (sodomy, etc.) would logically be a hell of a lot worse than a quick, painless death, but I've never been in the situation so I dont know.
That's not the fault of a system which uses the death penalty, the result of the OP is the fault of forensics and police teams.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
That's not the fault of a system which uses the death penalty, the result of the OP is the fault of forensics and police teams.

Because that makes it ok
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

That's only half true. The outcome described in the OP requires there to be lethal punishment. The system has put in place a possibility to legally kill someone, so it's to blame as well as the police and the judge.

Also, stop derailing my train of thought, I'm busy raging because of death penalty.
Quote by StewieSwan
Because that makes it ok

Never said that- an innocent man is still dead.

But the fact is that a case can only go to court with evidence, and this relies on police and the forensics teams doing their job.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Never said that- an innocent man is still dead.

But the fact is that a case can only go to court with evidence, and this relies on police and the forensics teams doing their job.

And the death penalty relies on the police and forensics being infallible (which they are obviously not.) But this is just beating a dead horse with you.
Quote by StewieSwan
And the death penalty relies on the police and forensics being infallible (which they are obviously not.) But this is just beating a dead horse with you.

I'm just pro-death penalty. Fact is that hundreds of people who are definitely guilty of whatever crime they've been charged with have been (rightly) put to death.

FASSEDIT: And in a lot of cases, the odds of the forensics being wrong are minutely small.
I have a sloloution. Just kill them a little bit.

But, seriously - thats sad. Does he have a family? Are they gonna sue the shizzle out of the state?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm just pro-death penalty. Fact is that hundreds of people who are definitely guilty of whatever crime they've been charged with have been (rightly) put to death.

That doesn't bring the ones who were innocent back to life.

I'm also interested to hear what you think gives someone the right to kill someone else.
Quote by primusfan

Groucho is a staff member on UG.

Greatest. Mod. Ever.

Anyway, loltexas, never something for a peaceful discussion from either end. I look forward to the doubtless shitstorm this thread shall produce.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by TheQuailman
That doesn't bring the ones who were innocent back to life.

I'm also interested to hear what you think gives someone the right to kill someone else.

Forensics is getting more and more advanced and with it, the chances of wrongful conviction are getting smaller and smaller.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Forensics is getting more and more advanced and with it, the chances of wrongful conviction are getting smaller and smaller.

That doesn't address either of my points.
Quote by TheQuailman
That doesn't adress either of my points.

Don't bother.
Quote by TheQuailman
That doesn't adress either of my points.

Actually it does. With the advances in forensics, LESS innocent people will go to the death chamber.

As for the second point, all I'm going to say 'eye for an eye'.
Quote by Craigo
I've always liked Jackal58's approach to the death penalty. 'It relies on the assumption that the state is infallible, and we all know that's bullshit.'

I only think that's a valid criticism if you apply it to everything the state does. Which neither you nor he really do.
Page 1 of 5