More in the sludge and hardcore (Mastodon, Neurosis, Acid Bath, Isis, Burst) side of things. My drums sound a little too clicky, does anyone know how I could fix that? (EZdrummer is what I use btw) I'd give back some feedback on anything as long as you give me a link. Thanks in advance.
Nice job man. I like the guitar tone, you've got some tight playing and it was well recorded. As for your drums you can seperate the MIDI used by EZDrummer into seperate tracks then put a sample of your choice on each of those tracks. I find this easiest to do in fruity loops (it's very visual) but i'm sure most MIDI capable software could do it. Sorry if that wasn't very clear. pm me if you need a better explanation!

If you get a chance take a listen to my new EP here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323062

Cheers dude.
Mmmm.....sludgy!
You could run the drums through a filter (just the snares/bass) to get rid of the high frq....might sound smoother.

I'm a sucker for sludge...you know that! Awesome track!
It would absolutely KILL with vocals. Pretty great as an instrumental though.
The guitar tones are really good...bit fizzy, but turning up the bass would help. Also, increase (or add?) bass guitars.

I think ill be listening to it quite often.
tbh I think the drums sound good as they are, although the snare could have a bit more body
as unet mentioned an addition of bass would be appreciated at least it would give you a fuller sounding mix

its a tight mix, the genre isn't what I typically get into but I think the writing is well done. The overarching theme you hear from 2:25 and onwards is kickass if you ask me. I've always found some bands who just have a very kickass rhythm focused tune going on, and always get pissed that they only play for a few measures. So personally i didn't think of it as being drawn out any~
Slumber does that alot, they know they've got a good hooking theme going on and stick to it at least for 2-3 minutes. Hell even their outros carry on and on lol but I dont care

Maybe some synths are called for as well I'm a sucker for synths and samplers....

Thanks for the crit , although I don't really think I had much to say of yours - because quite honestly I think it sounds damn good. adding a bass and any additional strings etc are about all I can think of. That also the tone of the snare drum, you could always retune the drum down.
Last edited by Night at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by Night
tbh I think the drums sound good as they are, although the snare could have a bit more body
as unet mentioned an addition of bass would be appreciated at least it would give you a fuller sounding mix

its a tight mix, the genre isn't what I typically get into but I think the writing is well done. The overarching theme you hear from 2:25 and onwards is kickass if you ask me. I've always found some bands who just have a very kickass rhythm focused tune going on, and always get pissed that they only play for a few measures. So personally i didn't think of it as being drawn out any~
Slumber does that alot, they know they've got a good hooking theme going on and stick to it at least for 2-3 minutes. Hell even their outros carry on and on lol but I dont care

Maybe some synths are called for as well I'm a sucker for synths and samplers....

Thanks for the crit , although I don't really think I had much to say of yours - because quite honestly I think it sounds damn good. adding a bass and any additional strings etc are about all I can think of. That also the tone of the snare drum, you could always retune the drum down.

I wish I had a bass lol I do have bass on keys but it sounds horrendously cheesy. I'm not too sure that im able to tune that snare, because I'm using a vst :/ I had a little synth drone during the clean break, but for some reason it disappeared when I exported it lol.
Thanks for the comments guys! Much appreciated.
Quote by v2a2n2g2
I wish I had a bass lol I do have bass on keys but it sounds horrendously cheesy. I'm not too sure that im able to tune that snare, because I'm using a vst :/ I had a little synth drone during the clean break, but for some reason it disappeared when I exported it lol.

If you're decent at programming MIDI, try 4Front bass. It sounds alright for a free VST and I'm sure with the right amp it could sound nice in that mix.
Quote by v2a2n2g2

Mmmm are you using DI and applying amp sims for your guitars btw? Or at least able to record line-in? If so one day you can pickup a cheap 100$ bass or an even cheaper used one, and just run it DI and then nab acmebargig's D.I.G. bass amp soft, or maybe SimpleVSTs thump bass amp. or grab a copy of amplitubes SVX bass amps and place it into your bass tracks effects chain followed by an IR.

I'm not sure about ezdrummer as its been a while since I've used it, but I do know superior drummer has a tuning key knob. I wouldn't put it past ezdrummer to possibly have it as well (maybe in the mixer section, etc - if that isn't the case you could always simply double up the vst loaded up, and simply have your snare hits on a separate piano roll and use your DAW to lower that track a few cents down instead.)
Quote by Night
Mmmm are you using DI and applying amp sims for your guitars btw? Or at least able to record line-in? If so one day you can pickup a cheap 100$ bass or an even cheaper used one, and just run it DI and then nab acmebargig's D.I.G. bass amp soft, or maybe SimpleVSTs thump bass amp. or grab a copy of amplitubes SVX bass amps and place it into your bass tracks effects chain followed by an IR.

I'm not sure about ezdrummer as its been a while since I've used it, but I do know superior drummer has a tuning key knob. I wouldn't put it past ezdrummer to possibly have it as well (maybe in the mixer section, etc - if that isn't the case you could always simply double up the vst loaded up, and simply have your snare hits on a separate piano roll and use your DAW to lower that track a few cents down instead.)

Yeah im running direct, although I'm kind of scared adding another track w/bass with a vst amp because my computer has a piss poor processor and you can only work with so much :/
Last edited by v2a2n2g2 at Jun 17, 2010,
Quote by v2a2n2g2
Yeah im running direct, although I'm kind of scared adding another track w/bass with a vst amp because my computer has a piss poor processor and you can only work with so much :/

aaah no worries, vst's like simplevst's thump leave a small footprint in my experience. but in the end its up to you, and actually even a clean bass signal alone will provide a good tone and addition to the mix.
dude im diggin the hell out of this song. i really like the guitar tone. recording quality is very well done.drums may need to be turned down just a little bit. this is damn good even as an instramental. i would like to hear vocals on it but its still great without them. 10/10. check my stuff out on my page if you want.