Hey guys just wanting some advice! I'm looking at getting a new distortion pedal and i'm looking at a Pro Co Rat just wanting to know what opinions people have on the Rat2 in comparison to the "You Dirty Rat" models? I play mainly blues-ish rock and normally use a USA Strat or Tele into an Orange Dual Terror. Any advice/opinions or other pedals i should be looking at would be a big help thanks!
P.S Budget isn't a massive issue but sometimes availabilty is on boutique stuff as im in the UK. Thanks again
cool thanks i'll check that out, anyonw else have any opinions/advice/recomendations im all ears!! (not literally of course that would be strange )
Get a vintage RAT with the LM308. It'll sound better and doesn't cost much more than a regular used RAT
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i can't remember which particular model of rat i tried, but i remember thinking it was pretty full-on with a lot of gain, and quite metallic-sounding. I'm not sure it's what you want if you play blues rock. EDIT: does the dual terror not do blues-ish rock already? i've only tred the tt, but it seemed to be aimed at those type of tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah sorry perhaps i wasn't very clear i use the dual terror and a zendrive od for my standard tone but my band has a couple of songs that are a touch heavier so rather than have to alter the knobs on the OD or big muff i use i was wanting something i could set to be a bit more saturated gain wise
oh ok. are you going to run it over the clean channel or the od channel? if you're going to run it over the od channel you don't necessarily need something which is all that heavy (unless you're running the gain channel as a very light crunch).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
primarily running pretty clean hence why i was thinking full blown distortion pedal rather than another OD and i want something a bit more defined than my fuzz if you know what i mean?
I have a 1985 Rat w/ the LM308, & it's a pretty smooth heavy tone. Tons of gain. The older ones aren't really cheap, but they're built like tanks, & worth the price IMO. I A/B'd mine against a new Fulltone Fulldrive 2, & they sound very similar, but the Rat sounded a bit more lively to me. The FD2 had much more degrees of adjustments though, but it didn't make enough difference to me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i haven't tried the older rats so I'll leave that to randy. what type of distortion tone are you after?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i can't remember which particular model of rat i tried, but i remember thinking it was pretty full-on with a lot of gain, and quite metallic-sounding. I'm not sure it's what you want if you play blues rock. EDIT: does the dual terror not do blues-ish rock already? i've only tred the tt, but it seemed to be aimed at those type of tones.

Rats aren't good for blues-rock?? Mr. Joe Perry would like to have a word with you, Dave.

my mistake i guess. it's also possible i tried one of the higher gain ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Blues-rock tones, but heavier? Sounds like you want a T-Rex Mudhoney. It's not cheap, but the price is bearable in Europe I think. Should be around 150 quid.