Some of you may have seen my amp build thread in the gear building forum.
Well I've driving myself nuts for the past couple of weeks tweaking this and that, it's becoming hard to see the woods from the trees at this stage!!
That's where you guys come in.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/49-First%20amp%20demo%20classic%20rock.mp3

I'd really appreciate your opinion on this tone.
It's the OD channel set as follows:
Gain = 4
Bass = 5
Mid = 7
Treb = 5
Master = 2.5
Presence = 4
Res = .5
Mid boost = off
Fat/Tight switch = fat (listening back the clip seems to be right at the point where the tight should be engaged to prevent a flabby bottom but see what you think)

I'm using my Les Paul with the JB bridge pickup. The strings are months old, spent too much time in this goddam amp!!

A G12H is miked with a Beta 57, close and midway between cone and edge 'cos I don't know any better.

I added a touch of reverb afterwards and a touch of compression to squeeze a bit more volume (that also increase the noise a little but it's still not bad for a high gainer I think).
Other than that there are no other effects or pedals used in the making of this clip.

It's supposed to be a kind of hot rodded Marshall / Soldano type classic 80s rock type tone with my own flavour thrown in.
The OD now is nothing like the SLO circuit wise now, but I hope I haven't gone too far from the beaten track on this.

I'll make some more clips on the clean channel, some bluesy stuff and some proper high gain metal stuff later in the week.

Again I'd appreciate your input.
Quote by stykerwolf
How is the biasing on your OD channel?

that sounds VERY nice man, very thick crunch

The OD channel has two mid biased stages, followed by a cold stage and then followed by a warm stage then onto the tone stack.

The power valves are a pair of 6L6GCs running 425Vdc plates and biased to around 65%.

Thanks for listening.
Quote by stykerwolf
39K on the cold stage?
can you list them for me?

It started that way, like a bit of a SLO clone.

My first two stage have 1.5k. 3rd has 18k and 4th has 820.

Sounds good, pretty similar to what my VTM sounds like. I like it more than it sounded in the GB+C forum. A little less modern than before.

Cheers.

My first two stage are medium biased because they are really just boosting the signal.
Then, like the SLO, I wanted a stage that added a lot of asymmetrical distortion and not any gain. I found that I prefered 18k here though. It seemed to lack a bit of definition to me with a 39k in there.
After that I wanted a real warm biased stage to remove some of the harshness from the previous before it got to the power amp. I used a DC coupled cathode follower, like in a Bassman and used a 820 resistor.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I like it more than it sounded in the GB+C forum. A little less modern than before.

Yeah, definately sounds a lot more vintage Marshall (somewhat similar to Slash's tone). But yeah that sounds great!
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by stykerwolf
Wow, that's nice, have you tried a 39K for the cold one?
the SLO has a 39 in there i think

Yes I did, that's what I was saying in my earlier post. I prefered 18k when I tried it. My amp has deviated quite a bit from the SLO circuit is was originally based on.

Yeah, definately sounds a lot more vintage Marshall (somewhat similar to Slash's tone). But yeah that sounds great!

^That's a good way to put it, seeing as I think that Slash's tone has the right amount of "hair" to it.

Cheers guys. I'm a big fan of Slash and spent most of my teens studying his playing. My ideal tone has always been AFD but fatter and a fraction more gain.
Had a crack this evening of double tracking the amp with a simple loop from Grarageband. This is riff we are working on in my band and this is pretty much the way I dial my amp in for it.
I know the loop is lame but I wanted to give you an idea of the tone in some kind of mix senario.
There's also some timing "errors" on my behalf as I threw it together real quick.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/15-Hard%20Rock%20Tone.mp3

What do ya reckon?
Shit, I left mine downstairs
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Sounds a little bit harsh in the mids, I think... I like how it sounds in the 'mix' better than in the first one, though. Change your strings, it'll do your tone alot of good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by stykerwolf
Try it with the bass at like, 2. (EVH style)

Did you think the bass was too flubby?

Sounds a little bit harsh in the mids, I think... I like how it sounds in the 'mix' better than in the first one, though. Change your strings, it'll do your tone alot of good.

I know, I haven't changed my strings since before I started building the amp.

When you say mids I'm guessing you mean upper midz like around 1k - 3k?
Quote by PaoloJM
Sorry just a bad joke in response to the title
Nice tone btw
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's my kind of heavy tone!

Cheers man, it's starting to get there I think.

Must throw up some cleans and mid gain too, see what ya think.