Alright super smart amp design type peoples I got an idea. I've been playing with an old computer monitor and found this. To drive the deflection coils it uses a fricken HUGE transistor (actually, a few fricken huge transistors). Bigger than anything I've seen in a guitar amp. Anyhow, I found a datasheet on a transistor similar to this one (also from a computer monitor) http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/30427/TOSHIBA/2SC5587.html

And as you can see it uses huge powers. 1500v Collector-base voltage!? I imagine that you could make a guitar (and or bass) amp that was massively loud with a few of these puppies. Or would it just not work because the transistor is designed for high speed switching?
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Jun 16, 2010,
I wouldn't try it... and it's not a physically huge transistor at all, in fact it's a very common dimension.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Alright, well maybe that's not a particularly good representation of the one I see (its down in the thing, so I can't read the code on it). But it's probably like 1/2 -3/4 of an inch tall.

Don't you think that guitar amp designers will have already scoured the datasheets for the most suitable transistors - I can't imagine many tapping their fingers on the workbench saying "What we need is frickin huge transistor - then we can make this puppy loud"

You're looking at this the wrong way round - you've seen a transistor which you've deemed as potentially suitable cos it's frickin' huge, whereas you need to work out how loud you want your amp & then let that requirement dictate the size of the tranny.
Well I was thinking more along the lines of "can I make this work as an amp" because I love to turn old stuff into new stuff such as telephones into fuzz boxes (already did that) and such. I'm actually thinking that if it's plausible build a PA amp out of this thing, because I need one.
Maybe Or you could just do what everyone else does to be loud.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Looking at the datasheet that you linked, the hfe, or DC current gain is the lowest I've seen in a transistor. That said, not every circuit for guitar related things needs super high gain, low gain is quite good for some things.