Hi there, so I finally got around to starting to sing, after about a week I have a few questions. First off, not got access to a coach exactly (plus cash) I know a choir singer but I don't see them that often and they're not the most pedagogically gifted of people.

1) singing scales.

How do I practice this? Basically I just play the c major and sing to it (do re mi etc) and I find that whilst after a warmup and practice I can make the first notes sound ok (but a little rough) the last notes of it sound terribly bad and cracked,

is this a breath problem? I've tried lengthening and shortening the duration of each note and everytime the last (ti and do) sound weak and strained, so maybe it's not breath? Will this just go away if I hammer at it?

Should I practice to other scales? in the same manner?

2) Pitch guess this is linked to the above but...how do you pitch your voice up and down? I really don't know...I mean I guess I'm doing it but...not all the time and I largely seem to go by volume, what's the actual feeling behind it?

3) Everyone talks about breath and breathing, what gets me is...how do I know I'm doing that right...if the abs stick out sort thing? because that to be would seem like I'm exhaling but everyne says push with your diaphragm. :S:S

Cheers for reading
I'm not an expert, but...

Quote by Sarissa

1) singing scales.

How do I practice this? Basically I just play the c major and sing to it (do re mi etc) and I find that whilst after a warmup and practice I can make the first notes sound ok (but a little rough) the last notes of it sound terribly bad and cracked,

is this a breath problem? I've tried lengthening and shortening the duration of each note and everytime the last (ti and do) sound weak and strained, so maybe it's not breath? Will this just go away if I hammer at it?

Should I practice to other scales? in the same manner?

You shouldn't be straining (esp. not in warmup!). Make sure the scale you're singing is within your range (it sounds like you might need to move it down a bit if the top of the scale is too high for you).
You know I thought the same thing and about 10 mins ago or so I was singing lower, it's slightly more managable but....I start the scale in what I thought was my natural register. Also it's not as much it FEELs strained just sounds it.

Don't get me wrong I would love for my voice to be deeper (it sounds abit high...) so if I'm doing something wrong here I'd be almost happy...
My example will be using a keyboard.

You sit down. You choose what key you want to be in. Lets say the key of C. So you start by playing a C on the keyboard. What your suppose to do is match your voice to the note. You know your hitting the note when you hear "one voice" so to say. Thats you being on pitch(on key). Then play the next note, D. Then EFGABC.

great tip is to hum and when you hit the note, you will really feel a small vibration (i do) and hear you being in key. Then remember how you hummed that note, but open your mouth and sing it.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Quote by Sarissa
You know I thought the same thing and about 10 mins ago or so I was singing lower, it's slightly more managable but....I start the scale in what I thought was my natural register. Also it's not as much it FEELs strained just sounds it.

Don't get me wrong I would love for my voice to be deeper (it sounds abit high...) so if I'm doing something wrong here I'd be almost happy...

Are you higher or lower then the middle C when singing in the key of C?
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Quote by Sarissa
... but everyone says push with your diaphragm.

Well, that so-called "everyone" is wrong. It's like "everyone" pronounces it nuCUlar.... but it doesn't make it right.

Now, by "everyone" in both cases, we're talking about people who have not been educated sufficiently. You'll find that nearly all people who have conventionally adequate formal education in English *will* say nuCLEar, and nearly everyone who has an adequate formal education in singing will say to *not* push with your diaphragm.

for more, check "the hold of the breath" here http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

and

"3. push with your diaphragm" here http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=34

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.