i see alot of people referring to notes in chords and fifths and stuff and i don't get it.
can some one help me learn the name of notes? i mean, i know what notes exist in music and intervals but specific names for the notes when they're in a chord. like obviously the first note is the root but what would the other notes be.

does that make any sense?

Edit: i just think i understood it on my own

lets says i took a scale and stacked in 3rds and made a Amin7 that looked like:
x
the A would be the root, the e would be the 3rd, the c would be the 5th and the g would be the 7th.

Is that it?
Last edited by schism8 at Jun 16, 2010,
it depends on the chord. when you see a number in a chord name its the note in the scale that is that number. like,

C scale has C D E F G A B C right?
so the 5 represents the G.
and if your C chord has a 5 in it, thats just saying "add the 5th note" or G.
when it says 9 you just keep counting
c d e f g a b c D
if you keep going, the 9th note in that scale is D.

the names for the notes in the chord are just numbers often seen as roman numerals,
like, Root, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII

the best thing to do would be to get some music lessons with a teacher that can teach you that stuff.
or buy a book about it, but books can be confusing.
Quote by schism8
im confused here

Well, you just need to look at pictures of naked men, and then of naked women, and hopefully that should be enough to sort out any confusion you might have.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by Doonan
it depends on the chord. when you see a number in a chord name its the note in the scale that is that number. like,

C scale has C D E F G A B C right?
so the 5 represents the G.
and if your C chord has a 5 in it, thats just saying "add the 5th note" or G.
when it says 9 you just keep counting
c d e f g a b c D
if you keep going, the 9th note in that scale is D.

the names for the notes in the chord are just numbers often seen as roman numerals,
like, Root, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII

the best thing to do would be to get some music lessons with a teacher that can teach you that stuff.
or buy a book about it, but books can be confusing.

thats what i meant. so i guess i did understand it. thank you.
oh, and i know notes are generally in numerals
Quote by schism8
i see alot of people referring to notes in chords and fifths and stuff and i don't get it.
can some one help me learn the name of notes? i mean, i know what notes exist in music and intervals but specific names for the notes when they're in a chord. like obviously the first note is the root but what would the other notes be.

does that make any sense?

Edit: i just think i understood it on my own

lets says i took a scale and stacked in 3rds and made a Amin7 that looked like:
x
the A would be the root, the e would be the 3rd, the c would be the 5th and the g would be the 7th.

Is that it?

no, it's not it. the A is the root and the G is the seventh, but the E is the fifth and the C is the third.

if you want to better understand chords this way, learn about intervals.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.